71 CSi Project in BaT

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Michael, isn't this the difference between "asking" prices and deals in reality ? Of course we only see asking prices and never know the reality until we make a bid and discuss with seller….

Agreed.

However I've seen a few cars and negotiated on price and there hasn't been a huge difference between. Ultimately my problem is that I want a car and have to pay the current market rate! On the plus side if the value of cars drop, doesn't matter in my case as I plan to keep the car for the rest of my life :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
never say never Michael, rest of life can be long …. i hope.

Never jump on new ads , they expect indeed the asking price as they also see only ads.... Wait … a month , a year… if still for sale, go for it :D

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
His work is mind boggling
I did see a post that said he was tired of it or something, but on the other hand he has the giant new shop

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe off-topic, but has anyone in the USA had their E9 done by Miklos? Just curious on his work.

I mean, the photos look spectacular, but is everything done "correctly"? E.g. speically factory-looking spot welds. Most noticeable on the front fender seams.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I suspect all three of us are right in a manner of speaking. The main difference as I see it is out here is the low number of cars in the first place probably inflates the price relative to the US/UK. Somebody on here might even have an idea on how many E9s are actually out here. Only guessing but suspect it only numbers 100-200, probably closer to 100.

Threw in another bid in tribute to Wes. I’m probably done, given transportation & storage of non-running car and parts will consume more time & money than I can justify.

Reactions: Wes

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Soooo you need a project?

Ha! I’m so slow on the E9. A lot of “Oh, that’s why Chris said to never do what I just did.”

But to Wes’s point, the current price seems worth at least grabbing to decide later (and I might knock out the part-out pros). What I’m really struggling with is the 45k-mile 16V Scirocco that I know I’d put at least $15k in. Had so much fun in that car. But having $25-30k in a Scirocco is so silly upside down I can’t bring myself to do it.

Reactions: Wes

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What I’m really struggling with is the 45k-mile 16V Scirocco that I know I’d put at least $15k in. Had so much fun in that car. But having $25-30k in a Scirocco is so silly upside down I can’t bring myself to do it.

When people warn me that dogleg (and 4spd) 1:1 gearing is too short for the highway, I reminisce about my 1.7 16v days. 10:1 compression. Peak HP at 5,800rpm, redline at 7,200. 3.94 diff. TT Stainless exhaust with enough high RPM highway drone to make your ears bleed. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$15k sale price. My eternally optimistic eyes absolutely saw this car as a project rather than a parts car. It's just sheet metal. ;) But my price estimation was WAY off. Glad to see several active bidders who share my optimism! Congrats to the buyer!!!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well there you go 15k USD.
Suspect that's also about right for the Aus market given condition.
Devil is always in the detail but think it was a good bye.