71 csl

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one rolled off the floor 7 days before mine.

Is it just me or is Mecum an unusual choice for this car?

m73

Reaction score
There was a dealer selling high price exotics in Florida that had both a carb Csl and injected in inventory--funny thing was that neither was for sale. Maybe this is one of them?

MF

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. Craig also has an injected CSL, which was at Amelia Island this year. The orange car was not ready yet. The injected CSL he has is nicer and more original. Interestingly, it has power rear windows (most LHD CSLs have fixed rear windows).

This car was pimped out in an eighties fashion when Craig bought it, and he took it back to a stock look. I have never seen this one in person, but the lack of original engine seems pretty big to me.

Maybe Mecum gave him a prime time spot at a low fee? He is a dealer who knows how to sell a car, so I am sure there is a method to his madness.

Scott

There was a dealer selling high price exotics in Florida that had both a carb Csl and injected in inventory--funny thing was that neither was for sale. Maybe this is one of them?

MF

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agree on the engine/value but probably very fun to drive with the extra torque and less weight.

Stefan

Reaction score
Agree on the engine/value but probably very fun to drive with the extra torque and less weight.

Less weight would perhaps be the amount of silicone products added to the car to look brand new on a distance :)

barely03

Reaction score
The auction company sent this:

Barry,

The serial number is 2211376. We estimate the car will sell between $275,000 and $325,000. Would you be willing to register as a bidder on the car?

Your friend at Mecum,

Dominic Hoffman
Vehicle Inquiry Representative
Office: (262)275-5050 ext. 292
Fax: (262)275-3424
[email protected]

I think they have very high hopes.

Barely03

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts- and I'm not an expert- If Mecum thinks that car is going to sell for 100K I think they're mistaken. To fetch that kind of price (below) that would have to be a 100% original car which was stored in a vacuum in the BMW factory. The only value of a car like I describe would be its "historic" value and it would be a collector car which this surely is not. Non original engine?, missing engine compartment seals-non period correct parts-more silicone than my ex-girlfriend... Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car and one that needs to be driven and the color will get lots of attention, but since it's not a "time capsule" car it's nothing that could not be put together for 60-70K (not including labor)-who can put a price on love? Now, the cool thing is the auction should bring lots of attention to our cars- do we know when this is airing? We could start a great thread on this!

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Clearly I'm no expert on these cars either but I think we can all agree that the values on these cars are on the rise. It's not clear whether this is a rising boat phenomenon or growing recognition. Probably a little of both.
I'm not going to be surprised to see these cars escalate in value just have the early Porsches. There seems to be an increasing appreciation for the inherent value of these beautiful vehicles with Fewer good ones available.
I bought my car because of the original condition of the body which we all know are prone to rust out long before the power train will fail. Additionally, most original owners of these cars weren't car nuts who protected them. They were driven and neglected for the most part. I believe the value of these cars going forward will have as much to do with the originality of the bodies as much as the drivetrains. I would much prefer a car with an upgraded drivetrain and all original factory panels and seams that one with an original drivetrain and a refabricated body.
We will all see what happens when this car crosses the block. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my seat time even though my windows aren't working.-:)

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
A Colorado orange first generation CSL....

WOW.

While some details are wrong, I suspect the cost to put them right is not much compared to how special this car is.

Given the history, perhaps even the original engine could be found.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
For that kind of coinage can we at least get a Varta/BMW battery, or anything better than a Pep Boys battery in there?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts- and I'm not an expert- If Mecum thinks that car is going to sell for 100K I think they're mistaken. To fetch that kind of price (below) that would have to be a 100% original car which was stored in a vacuum in the BMW factory. The only value of a car like I describe would be its "historic" value and it would be a collector car which this surely is not. Non original engine?, missing engine compartment seals-non period correct parts-more silicone than my ex-girlfriend... Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car and one that needs to be driven and the color will get lots of attention, but since it's not a "time capsule" car it's nothing that could not be put together for 60-70K (not including labor)-who can put a price on love? Now, the cool thing is the auction should bring lots of attention to our cars- do we know when this is airing? We could start a great thread on this!

Can't say I agree. If it were a CSI it would sell for 60-70, but since it is a CSL, it will get bid to double that. I bet the reserve is 200k plus, and it won't sell. Tough to value this car without the original engine, though.

m73

Reaction score
This dealer also has an injected polaris csl, wonder what's that worth....?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm thinking a good experiment would be to see what it bids up to and then take 20% away for the alcohol served and the nitrous oxide they pump into the A/C system. I hope I'm way wrong, so even if the reserve is not met we could take the highest bid, do a little subtraction and maybe end up with something close?

Does anyone know when the auction is and if it is airing?

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
mecum monterey

Auction is Aug 14-16. I'm almost sure it was broadcast same day coverage last year and would guess this year as well. Gooding has a 328 and an M1 already signed up for Monterey as well. Havent seen if RM and Bonhams have any Bavarian entries.