'72 3.0 CSL on ebay

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here's a new listing that i haven't seen before. listed in NY at a buy it now price of 107,000. vin listed is 22775211. looks like too many numbers - i would assume that it should be 2275211 - not registered on e9 driven (no combination). the vin tag under the hood has been replaced - says 3.0cs and doesn't have a number.

car is fjord, being sold by exotic classics. looks like there has been some corrective body work along the way.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would love to drive the Ring with the ac on high, the sun rerflecting off the Toyota Avalon quality wood polyurathene finish. But I would worry about whether the cars behind me could see me in the Bavarian Mist without my rear fog light.

Hmmmmm.

E9erCS

Reaction score
"Bavarian Mist?"

Isn't that a paint color?

Brings to mind the "Champagne Mist" on a '65 Buick Riviera my father bought back in the day...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought ducktails had a CSL decal not chrome letters like on regular city CSL's

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
All 3.0 cars had the same vin plate with BMW 3.0cs printed on them, the only difference in the CSL plate are the weight values printed on it, and I cannot read the numbers on the fuzzy pic. Other than those wood pieces on the shifter console rather than aluminum and the emblems on the ducktail I can't see a lot to criticize about the car. VIN probably is 2275211 as Scott (rsporsche) speculates. I dont personally know anything about the history or ownership of the car, and it should be interesting to see if the market is strong enough to support that price. I would speculate they come close to getting that amount.

One of my old CSLs, a batmobile vin 2275441 going up for auction at R&M in Monterey this month, link is attached. Again, it should be interesting to see if the economic situation the world is in will support their estimate of up to $160k. If anyone here is a really serious buyer for a car like this you are welcome to email me at [email protected] for further info on the build.

One thing I would like to correct, Carl Nelson had very, very little to do with the car, a shop in Salt Lake City, Schneiders did most of the body and paint, a fellow in Boulder did the drivetrain and I did the rest other than a few detail bits like applying the decals and mounting the roof hoop which at the time I felt would be better left to someone who had done it before. Car was sold for WAY less than the auction estimates, but in the nineties their rarity and special status was not really recognized by anyone other than coupe-o-philes. Don't know if the seller is the fellow I did the car for or not.

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=MO11&CarID=r267&fc=0

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
information from seller

[FONT=&quot]Here is the information i just received from the seller. i also have copies of the primary work done by the Werk Shop, and then the follow up by the Lancaster, Pa shop that did additional work. the VIN is confirmed to be 2275211 ... so it can be put in the registry. there are additional pix in the hyperlink below + if anybody is interested in the pdf's of the work done on the car, let me know and i will forward it to you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]cheers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]scott
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your interest in the BMW Lightweight that was featured in my recent Exotic Classics Insider Newsletter. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The car now has a detailed photo gallery online. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CLICK TO VIEW PHOTOS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let me tell you what I know about the history of this great BMW. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From about 1984 until the mid 1990’s it was owned by a gentleman in Massachusetts. then it was acquired by a collector in New Rochelle, New York. He owner it for about ten years after which he sold it to a principal of a BMW dealer who also has his own private collection. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This knowledgeable owner commissioned a restoration in 2006 which included paint and mechanical overhaul that was carried out by The Werk Shop in Lake Bluff, IL. We have receipts for about $35,000 detailing the work performed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We acquired the car in 2011 and commissioned a further $7,000 in additional restoration involving both cosmetic and mechanical issues. This work was done by Horsepower Enterprises in Lancaster, PA. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have a PDF file with the restoration receipts and you will find it attached hereto.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The car was originally white and while it still has the original tool roll, the books have unfortunately gone missing. All restoration was done sympathetically with the priority to retain as much originality as possible. So the interior, with the Scheel racing seats, is original. And the trim, while slightly patinated, is original to the car, as are all the body panels. We believe that adhering as much as possible to original is the best way to preserve the value. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The car has never been rusted, and it remains a spirited performer. We feel that the car will be welcome in the most prestigious concours and/or historic racing events. The price is $107,900.[/FONT]

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone know about the Lancaster Pa shop?

Horsepower enterprises. Seem to do more than just engine tweaking. I presume if the New York seller of the CSL went to them after the Werk Shop they should have some experience.

Anyone used or know about this shop and e9s (they have one pictured in restoration section)?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1972 csl - info

Horsepower enterprises was hired by Exotic Classics. the Werk Shop was hired by the previous owner - Tom ? that work was done in July 2006. there was also some engine work done by a porsche / jaguar / audi dealer in june 2006.

i have attached some of the receipts - i will attach the remaining 3 in the next post

Attachments

• BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_1.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 144
  • BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_2.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 136
  • BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_3.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 127
  • BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_4.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_4.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 128
  • BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_5.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 124

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here are the remaining receipts

Attachments

• BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_6.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_6.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 140
  • BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_7.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_7.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 139
  • BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_8.jpg
    BMW CSL Receipts(2)_Page_8.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 141

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks

Scott,

Useful info on restoration prices. Is gloss the appropriate finish for the veneer? (this is what the Werke shop specified).

Useful to see what Horsepower could do. Again, does anyone know their work personally. I ask because Lancaster, Pa is a lot closer than Chicago.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my limited opinion on the gloss or sheen of the wood is what i remember from seeing these cars back in the day. as i remember, there was a sheen, but it was not a deep lacquer gloss (or what i refer to as "plasticized wood"). i would guess is that is was no more than a 30% to 40% sheen.

there are a couple of things that affect sheen, the first is whether or not the veneer is fully filled (you will notice in woods like the mahogany family, that there is often an "open" grain ... seeing the texture of the grain. in order to make that type of wood super glossy, you have to fill and sand the veneer extremely smooth - then apply a high gloss lacquer. you will see this type of finish on newer cars or some older luxury cars, as well in some high end commercial / contemporary residential interiors. i think it is foreign to any of the cs coupes.

can't understand why the Werk Shop would have done that unless that is what the owner wanted. maybe Murray or Dan Koturov can further expound on what they have noticed or what is appropriate.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Original wood was European (aka French or Italian) walnut and the finish was satin or semi gloss. I use a satin finish on any of my cars and on the wood I sell. The high gloss might have been specified by the owner, I doubt that the Werk Shop would have specified it unless the owner wanted it that way. I have seen high gloss in many cars, even batmobiles but it is not correct. I am not certain but it also appears that later cars like 74-75 cars had a darker stain but still satin finish. Of course the grain was filled so none was visable. Early stain was something between walnut and cherry, a reddish brown, later appeared more brown and darker. Many, many coupes, especially the survivors mostly from the southwest and CA has sun bleached wood, you can see the original color by removing the door wood and at the top will be a thin length of darker wood, that was the original.

Scott, all that documentation you've accumulated, you thinking about buying that L? It is more accurate than most I see on ebay, altho there are glaring errors like the short ducktail which was only used with the wing and the wood panels on the shifter console, both easily rectified. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Don Detlefsen at the Werk Shop does some of the best work out there.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

no i'm not contemplating buying this csl. i'm not sure which would be cheaper, the impending divorce ... or the car. i sent one email on ebay + asked a question and got all of the information ... so i thought i would share.

walnut sands smooth and virtually never has an open grain - except in burls.

you are right, Don + his team do great work, and he's a great guy ... i'm sure i will see him again at oktoberfest in birmingham in a couple of months.

scott

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
That would be 64,652 euros. Wish I got paid in euros!
Now we know where the market is for these rare birds. A member of this forum also recently (within the past year) bought a nice Ceylon LHD CSL at auction for I believe somewhere in the 80k range. Anyone know any other recent comps for non-BAT LHD cars?
Scott