72 Bavaria fuel issues

Haseeb

Reaction score
hey buds, I've haven't been able to get my car to start recently. I rebuilt my carbs, and I can get it to crank, but no fuel seems to be coming through, I followed the fuel line and I'm not sure if this is an issue with the fuel pump. I have no fuel to the carbs, and the fuel filter housing is dry. I pulled out the fuel pump from the tank, but don't really know what I'm looking at. How do I know if this is the problem? Is there anyway for me to test this?

Attachments

• IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4562.JPG
    IMG_4562.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4564.JPG
    IMG_4564.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4567.JPG
    IMG_4567.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 184

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I would first disconnect both ends of the fuel line and cap the aft end. See if you can draw a vacuum on the line from the front end. You should be able to keep a vacuum in the line, if not, look for the leak and replace the line. If there is a leak, your fuel pump will be sucking nothing but air. You can inspect the bottom of the sending unit to see if the filter is clogged and can blow back through it to check if it is.
You can pour a small amount of fuel into the upper vent of each carburetor to prime the bowl, and you can also prime your pump by putting some gas in a beer can and letting the pump suck out of that to initially fire the engine.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey buds, I've haven't been able to get my car to start recently. I rebuilt my carbs, and I can get it to crank, but no fuel seems to be coming through, I followed the fuel line and I'm not sure if this is an issue with the fuel pump. I have no fuel to the carbs, and the fuel filter housing is dry. I pulled out the fuel pump from the tank, but don't really know what I'm looking at. How do I know if this is the problem? Is there anyway for me to test this?

There is no fuel pump in the tank.
That is the fuel level sending unit.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My experience with this issue
1) fuel pump is out
2) If you recently jacked-up the drivers side, the fuel line could have been kinked off.
3) sending unit filter is clogged.
Not much else on these cars.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Old fuel hose has air leaks you can’t ever see, causing it to suck air as Mike posted. Replace the line in the engine bay first and eventually line in trunk as well. Even with a plastic filter you only see very little gas in it even when it is working well.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
The fuel pump is in the pics you posted, 4th pic between the carbs, bolted to the head and has lines going to the carbs.
Let me know if the pump is out, may have one.

Haseeb

Reaction score
The fuel pump is in the pics you posted, 4th pic between the carbs, bolted to the head and has lines going to the carbs.
Let me know if the pump is out, may have one.
Will let you know this weekend probably! (I'll have the time to examine and test it as Mike advised)