72 CS needs wheels

drhodgie

Reaction score
OK Guys, I need to pick your brains.

My restored 72CS needs some new rims. It presently has nicely polished BBS Mahle mesh 14" rims. Tires are good but they are M/S. Need to update.
Suspension is stock. Years ago I damaged the left fender by turning into an uphill driveway too fast.
I plan to get the fenders rolled for more clearance. But I do not want this to be a problem for future drivers.

I want rims that looks as good as the car (I have had it since 75, Chamonix white with new rust leather interior. Sunroof and 4 speed).

I will giving this car to my 28 year old son (if he can by no air bags). It needs to be a no problem driver as much as possible.

I know nothing about off-set and want the same size for front and back. Thinking nothing bigger than a 16"

Thanks

tmason

Reaction score
CK Alpina's is always a safe bet but I would go the staggered size. Looks the best IMHO

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Why don't just buy some new GOOD tires like Michelin XWX or Vredestein Classic Sprint to your existing, period and really good looking rims? Newer rims might look cool for a while but tend to look a bit dated after a couple of years since the then neither new nor period rims don't fit the classic look of the body...
You wouldn't try to buy teenage sneakers or fancy high-heel shoes for your old grandmother either, do you? ;-)
Cheers
Anders

Reactions: JDH

sreams

Reaction score
To each his own, but I don't necessarily agree. My personal opinion is that the e9 body and 16" wheels are a perfect match. Thus the appeal of the period-correct 16" Alpinas everyone seems to want. 14" wheels look too small for the wheel wells to me (and anything much above 16" looks too large). Heck, even tiny MGAs, MGBs, VW bugs, and Volvo P1800s have 15" wheels stock. 14" on our big coupes seems like a compromise to me.

As for modern wheels looking dated after a couple of years... sometimes that's true and sometimes it isn't. My type 61 wheels were offered on BMWs in the year 2000, so they are -already- 13 years old. I don't ever see them looking dated, although they may not be to everyone's taste.

I like the type 61s, because they resemble the Alpinas a bit (same number of spokes, same diameter, similar width, etc). New ones typically, cost around $400 for a set... less than 1/5 the price one would pay for a set of 16" Alpinas.

Why don't just buy some new GOOD tires like Michelin XWX or Vredestein Classic Sprint to your existing, period and really good looking rims? Newer rims might look cool for a while but tend to look a bit dated after a couple of years since the then neither new nor period rims don't fit the classic look of the body...
You wouldn't try to buy teenage sneakers or fancy high-heel shoes for your old grandmother either, do you? ;-)
Cheers
Anders

Last edited:
Reactions: JDH

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am a stock 14" wheel fan (crave Alpinas) but I think 15" would be ideal size, 16" is too much rim and not enough tire for me.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the 14" Alpinas... they can be had for around $500 / set. Not bad.
Problem is to really make them look right you need to go to Michelin XWXs but at roughly $600 a corner it gets real pricey. Vredesteins are a close second but not quite the same.

Finally went with staggered 16" Alpinas.