'72 CSI @ CCA classifieds

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
nmna. doesn't appear in the registry.

https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/91241

Description
$66,765 restoration completed by Horsepower Enterprises (Lancaster, PA) in 2008 (11 month process). New fenders and all rust removed, stunning paint, new rubber seals, wood reconditioned, new seats and carpet, trim re-chromed. Too much to list. Have pictures and all documentation. I purchased the car in 2009, made more improvements and have driven it less than 2000 miles since. Always garaged and babied. Looking to sell to make room for a new M car. Chris Schroeder 515 313-1819 (c); [email protected] (MO)

This listing has been viewed 10 times since it was created on Feb 21, 2016.

Series
Classic
Year
Model
3.0CSi
VIN
Mileage
Transmission
5-speed
Exterior Color:
Polaris Metalic
Interior:
Blue Vinyl

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe the ad indicates the car is located in Missouri (MO at the bottom of the ad). But then, the area code posted is 515, which is in the Des Moines Iowa region.

I live 30 miles from Lancaster PA, but doubt the car is in this area. IF you find it is, please let me know and I can do a run out to look at it.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
That 66k figure has to be taken with suspicion. Does anyone know of Horsepower Enterprises...how many coupes do they restore annually????

I think if someone really wanted to restore a coupe in PA, the car would have been trailered to Bow, NH to have it done right at VSR

But hey I may be off my rockers

Carmen

Reaction score
Still interested

Yeah, I believe the car is located within a mile of me in St. Louis, Missouri. I emailed him and may go check it out. Here is a picture link that the seller sent me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/140373721@N05/shares/9979hr/

I know vinyl isn't great and there are still questions with rust, but if it's clean, and mechanically sound, I'm a serious buyer. I would greatly appreciate any help with a PPI. I would also fly out to see that car but only after an initial PPI pans out. I may have to put a deposit down to hold it throughout that time. Thanks for any help.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For a PPi in St. Louis I would try GLB Motorworks or Erwin F. Schwarz, Ltd. Both are within a few miles of this seller. I'm sure there are other options but those are the first two that come to mind.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know vinyl isn't great and there are still questions with rust, but if it's clean, and mechanically sound, I'm a serious buyer. I would greatly appreciate any help with a PPI. I would also fly out to see that car but only after an initial PPI pans out. I may have to put a deposit down to hold it throughout that time. Thanks for any help.

If you are planning to spend this much, you might want to have a pro look at the car with you. Don from the werk shop in Chicago is probably the closest, but mario L from vsr n NH, and sfdon from this forum might also be willing to fly to check out a car.

You can take your iphone and blindly film the open area in the upper back part of the front wheel well and get video from under the front fenders. That tells you a lot. You can do the same under the dash.

Scott

digixjairo

Reaction score
If you are planning to spend this much, you might want to have a pro look at the car with you. Don from the werk shop in Chicago is probably the closest, but mario L from vsr n NH, and sfdon from this forum might also be willing to fly to check out a car.

You can take your iphone and blindly film the open area in the upper back part of the front wheel well and get video from under the front fenders. That tells you a lot. You can do the same under the dash.

Scott

Hi Guys,

Just to update you on this car. I had been in contact with the seller and was going to fly out on Saturday. He also told me that he had the car at Bimmers R Us and that they could do a PPI. I guess I should have known better not to have used his own mechanic to do a PPI.

The PPI found that the front bushings are cracked, the fuel sending unit needs replacing, there has been some touch up on the rear by the muffler. The driver side door needs adjusting. All in all it seemed like worth flying to go seal the deal. I would take the that PPI with caution though and still suggest to have Don or someone more reputable check it out if you are interested.

Well now the seller got greedy and since he has had a lot of calls he is now asking $70k. He had promised to sell it to me for $55k but I guess he feels like he underpriced it.

Good luck to the seller! That is my rant for the day.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like a complete gamble and a waste of time. For that kind of money, buy a rusted one for 15-20k and put another 30-40 to have VSR restore it properly.