72CSi Fuel Pump Issues

12doplumbing

Reaction score
No problem. Sounds pretty interesting - like you're living the dream.
It'll probably take me three or more weeks; I just putter around on the coupe while watching sports.
The injectors were rebuilt by Fuel Injector Corp. I believe to the same exact specs; an Sfdon referral. I also changed the wire leads and male plugs to the injectors. I have an inline pressure gauge plumbed right after my filter and it reads 29 lbs while idling (drops to 0 pretty quickly when I shut other down -- still not sure if that is supposed to occur). All of my vacuum lines and engine compartment hoses; fuel, coolant and vacuum - no brake, power steering or clutch - have been changed.
In reading the D-Jet stuff I copied from Tech Info, it seems there are three things I don't understand, or don't have a grip on enough to check: the Pressure Sensor, the Thermo Time Switch, and the Throttle Valve Switch. If any of my symptoms could relate to these items -- it'll take at least three weeks!
I changed the radiator, thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor (because it was available). The plugs, wires, coil... Oh, and I added a new large ground at the fire wall to block, new ground at battery, new ground at distributor -- grounds wherever I could imagine - your suggestion the latest (which helped performance).
It's got to be one of the three I don't understand...
It's like a good chess game, right?

pamp

Reaction score
Quick pressure sensor test. Use a Mighty vac tool, and pull about 10-15 inches of vacuum on the sensor. It should hold. If not, the diaphragm is no good. Common. The sensor is "unobtainium" and dipped in gold. Best to e-mail [email protected]

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Okay, did some reading in my Tech Info printouts on D-Jet again, trying to figure out where exactly to hook up my vacuum gauge and figure out if I had everything needed to perform this test. What I've been able to retain in regards to this Pressure Sensor is this: It's very likely that my erratic/unpredictable gas pedal responses (the stuttering problem is like an unpredictable, choppy acceleration) is probably due to this Sensor's failing diaphragm. The sensor is unable to adjust, or send an accurate increase or decrease in signal. Am I right?
This whole unit is unavailable? No Mercedes part compatible? Seems very crucial to our D-Jet systems -- what is more critical than this?
Wonder of Fuel Injection Corp will rebuild this... You know, they repair/rebuild ECUs.
Gotta goto work. What's an engineer doing on a fishing vessel in the arctic?