73 3.0 CS on ebay

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
No affiliation. This looks kind of interesting, but I'd be interested in the comments from the experts.

Looking at the general used car buying kind of stuff:

-- the seller comments that the car was owned for 30 years by the same owner, but it seems the seller has not owned the car very long.
-- the seller has feedback from only one transaction.
-- the interior is a little tired, but from the pictures its hard to determine how tired.
-- there is no rust in the pictures, but some of the potential trouble spots are not in the pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think you need to get some very high resolution pix if you want to seriously evaluate the car ... and be specific about what pix you want. the driver's floor (underneath) looks pretty good - but you can't see the rocker. the side shots on a black car have to be up close.

not sure if there's anybody in the nashville area on the forum that you might get to look at the car.

d-ace

Reaction score
This North American version 3.0 coupe I think is one of the prettiest I have seen on here in a long time and just what most are looking for. Motor compartment looks good and the shot of the undercarriage looks 90% better than what I have seen on here.
Five speed trans?

philv

Reaction score
I live in Brentwood. I just sent a message to the seller through e-bay. I'll let you know what happens.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
72 cs for sale

More extensive pictures would certainly tell the tale, But without a reserve this guy seems willing to give this bad boy away.

GBel
73 chamonix

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would like to see some shots that aren't just wide views of glossy paint. Looks pretty good on low res.

philv

Reaction score
I have received an email from the seller. He lives about 5 minutes from me and I'm going over tomorrow afternoon to have a look at the car. I'm not a coupe expert but I do have a rusty 2002 so I think i know what to look for. if any of you want to shoot me an email with any questions or suggestions on what to look out for please do.

Phil

execmalibu

Reaction score
The car is a color change was originally Green and has some Rust.....

The Seller has only had the car for a few weeks... He said the car was originally green and that there is some rust. Also he said there are some minor damage areas on the fenders that needs repair.

What I notice from the limited description/photos is that the car has a vinyl interior and the front struts have the studs sticking up and they used cheap Pep Boys type air filters...

This says to me that someone did not want to spend the money doing the car professionally by using leather on the seats, original air cleaner etc... The paint looks good from 20 feet but did they take the car apart (remove trim, glass etc)for the color change? Even an Earl Scheib paint job looks great from across the street!

Last edited:

d-ace

Reaction score
Earl Scheib, $29.95 paint job, only in America once upon a time………

Just to add, I also remember about that time down the street the Independent gas station was $.18.9 cents a gallon for 95 octane gas too.

Last edited:

execmalibu

Reaction score
Did anyone look at this car yet?

Has anyone actually seen/touched this car yet?

Report please...

execmalibu

Reaction score
d-ace... Earl used to say we will paint ANY car for $29.95! No ups no downs!

Earl Shieb would pitch he would paint any car for $29.95.... Remember how big cars were in the 1950s-1970s..

Their paint jobs were also as smooth as grass (not glass) and shined like a tennis ball...

They would also paint the trim, dents, windshield, side windows , soft top and the top half of every tire... Sir why are you so upset? The paint for all those extra areas was included in the price!

Masking? "we dont need no stinking masking "... :mrgreen:

Last edited:

philv

Reaction score
I took a look at this car yesterday. I'm not a coupe expert and I'm just a lurker on here.
drop by every few months just to drool on your cars so don't burn me at he stake. Since the car is 5 min from my house I had to go look.

outside:
paint looks very nice, looks like a base/clear, nice shine and depth. a couple of dings here and there. all the body panels look strait. I could not detect bondo anywhere. I'm not saying there isn't any.
If I did not know the car was originaly another color I would not be able to tell unless you
pulled the back seats out or some other interior pieces, Don't know, I didn't do that. non stock wheels. a little curb rash on the left rear wheel, not much. Rear bumper is perfect. the front bumper has a dent/scratch on the top in the center where someone ran it up under something. the rest of the exterior trim looks nice. It looks like they pulled evrything off when it was painted.

inside:
interior is tired but it all appears to be there. The vinyl is in decent shape for its age. there is one small tear on the drive seat backrest bolster. a set of seat cover that were on the front seats left some streaks where they bled through. padding is ok. did these seats have horse hair? seats could be redyed and restuffed. a few loose interior trim pieces and the wood trim on the dash has a few broken slates where the speaker? is. other then that the wood is not splintering or pealing apart anywhere.

floors/trunk/hood:
pulled up the carpet in front. floor panels are solid, framerails and corners in the trunk all look solid. strut towers and inner fender wells look solid. insullation under carpet is shot.

rust:
I was shown one spot of rust inside the rear wheel well right at the back side of the rocker.
from the sunroof drain? looking under the car at the rockers you can see a slight rust color running along the seams. No flaking metal anywhere. The rocker trim is in place so I could not see the outside.

engine:
started right up, nice exhaust note. Exhaust system looked good. Car has a 5 speed and AC. I did not drive the car but ran the AC while it idled in the drive. AC put out some very cold air. I was impressed.

I think its a good solid car. Need a lot of little thing here and there. I know, little thing on these cars can add up to big money, Probably worth the current bid price.

tmason

Reaction score
Price is creeping up. I'll guess final winning bid of 12,689.00 USD.
Thanks Phil for the report very well done!

carcollector22

Reaction score
I took a look at this car yesterday. I'm not a coupe expert and I'm just a lurker on here.
drop by every few months just to drool on your cars so don't burn me at he stake. Since the car is 5 min from my house I had to go look.

outside:
paint looks very nice, looks like a base/clear, nice shine and depth. a couple of dings here and there. all the body panels look strait. I could not detect bondo anywhere. I'm not saying there isn't any.
If I did not know the car was originaly another color I would not be able to tell unless you
pulled the back seats out or some other interior pieces, Don't know, I didn't do that. non stock wheels. a little curb rash on the left rear wheel, not much. Rear bumper is perfect. the front bumper has a dent/scratch on the top in the center where someone ran it up under something. the rest of the exterior trim looks nice. It looks like they pulled evrything off when it was painted.

inside:
interior is tired but it all appears to be there. The vinyl is in decent shape for its age. there is one small tear on the drive seat backrest bolster. a set of seat cover that were on the front seats left some streaks where they bled through. padding is ok. did these seats have horse hair? seats could be redyed and restuffed. a few loose interior trim pieces and the wood trim on the dash has a few broken slates where the speaker? is. other then that the wood is not splintering or pealing apart anywhere.

floors/trunk/hood:
pulled up the carpet in front. floor panels are solid, framerails and corners in the trunk all look solid. strut towers and inner fender wells look solid. insullation under carpet is shot.

rust:
I was shown one spot of rust inside the rear wheel well right at the back side of the rocker.
from the sunroof drain? looking under the car at the rockers you can see a slight rust color running along the seams. No flaking metal anywhere. The rocker trim is in place so I could not see the outside.

engine:
started right up, nice exhaust note. Exhaust system looked good. Car has a 5 speed and AC. I did not drive the car but ran the AC while it idled in the drive. AC put out some very cold air. I was impressed.

I think its a good solid car. Need a lot of little thing here and there. I know, little thing on these cars can add up to big money, Probably worth the current bid price.
I looked at the car yesterday. Nice example! Probably the nicest CS I have seen in this area. Needs some odds and ends but the car appears solid with nice paint. Runs well. Interior is not tired as indicated. Seats are in good shape but they need dyed, not replaced. One small cut in the side of the driver's seat-no big deal. Overall a nice little car. If this car sells for the current bid price someone is going to get a deal of a lifetime. I would peg this car at $20-22k. You could not buy a tired car and bring it up to this condition for anything less. With a little detail work this should be a $25k car.

execmalibu

Reaction score
$22,000! Can you say Self Promotion? The amazing CSI sold last week for $21,000

This posting seems very strange...

What do you guys think about a Brand new member since only yesterday (8/1/2011) pitching a car for $22,000 he just saw yesterday. Remember the amazing CSI that just sold last week in SF for $21,900. If the car was so nice why didn't he buy it?

The report we got from a personal visual inspection done by a novice is that the car is nice but is a color change that has a few paint flaws and the interior is very tired and redone in Vinyl. The dash has cracks, the seats have a few tears, a visor is missing. That does not impress me as a $22,000 CS...Not yet anyway...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys,

i'm kind of surprised that 2 people went and looked at this car + didn't (or haven't) posted any pix they might have taken while looking at this car. I kinda agree with Exec about carcollector22's post ... we all know that little things on these cars are usually far from "no big deal". btw - welcome to the e9coupe group ... you've been initiated. this might be the best coupe in the Nashville area ... but might only be an average car in southern california. I think Philv called it like he saw it - take it from there. my WAG is this is probably a 15k to 17.5k car ... maybe. it didn't sell last week on ebay when bidding got to $16.9k. i don't think this is truly a 22k car.

in rereading the ebay listing - seller has just spent $2,700 on minor stuff - "Oil change, new battery, new valve cover gasket, new spark plugs, new fuel filter, new distributor cap, new belts, replaced windshield wiper motor, adjusted valves, replaced air filter, replaced high and low beam headlight relays". I would probably sell my car too if my mechanic charged me that much ... or find a new mechanic.

silver1331

Reaction score
Guys,

i'm kind of surprised that 2 people went and looked at this car + didn't (or haven't) posted any pix they might have taken while looking at this car. I kinda agree with Exec about carcollector22's post ... we all know that little things on these cars are usually far from "no big deal". btw - welcome to the e9coupe group ... you've been initiated. this might be the best coupe in the Nashville area ... but might only be an average car in southern california. I think Philv called it like he saw it - take it from there. my WAG is this is probably a 15k to 17.5k car ... maybe. it didn't sell last week on ebay when bidding got to $16.9k. i don't think this is truly a 22k car.

in rereading the ebay listing - seller has just spent $2,700 on minor stuff - "Oil change, new battery, new valve cover gasket, new spark plugs, new fuel filter, new distributor cap, new belts, replaced windshield wiper motor, adjusted valves, replaced air filter, replaced high and low beam headlight relays". I would probably sell my car too if my mechanic charged me that much ... or find a new mechanic.

+1, The car was listed for months at $14.5k by Nashville Autohaus on behalf of the previous owner. I inquired about the car a while ago but was looking for something that had a bit more restoration work done to it. I played phone tag with the owner but never got in touch with him.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 I got the same feeling

This posting seems very strange...

What do you guys think about a Brand new member since only yesterday (8/1/2011) pitching a car for $22,000 he just saw yesterday. Remember the amazing CSI that just sold last week in SF for $21,900. If the car was so nice why didn't he buy it?

The report we got from a personal visual inspection done by a novice is that the car is nice but is a color change that has a few paint flaws and the interior is very tired and redone in Vinyl. The dash has cracks, the seats have a few tears, a visor is missing. That does not impress me as a $22,000 CS...Not yet anyway...