73 3.0 CS on ebay

d-ace

Reaction score
Well if it is as claimed and seen “looks good” it’s got the colors, someone has already bought it anyhow.

One Quote
“interior is very tired and redone in Vinyl.”

Now I might be wrong its been about 40-years since BMW made this coupes and I don’t think anyone really knows what they did although the only OEM seat material I have seen on these coupes especially 1971-72 was Vinyl. The 3.3CSL I had for a short time in the 1980’s had leather and my 635CSI Euro Alpina with Recaro seats is leather but the Vinyl in the 3.0CSI has out lasted the OEM leather in the 635CSI for cracks.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked at the car yesterday. Nice example! Probably the nicest CS I have seen in this area. Needs some odds and ends but the car appears solid with nice paint. Runs well. Interior is not tired as indicated. Seats are in good shape but they need dyed, not replaced. One small cut in the side of the driver's seat-no big deal. Overall a nice little car. If this car sells for the current bid price someone is going to get a deal of a lifetime. I would peg this car at $20-22k. You could not buy a tired car and bring it up to this condition for anything less. With a little detail work this should be a $25k car.

Not cool coming across like you checked out the car as a potential buyer. Normally I just let this stuff go and ignore it, but it took all of thirty seconds of searching to confirmed that you are the one listing the car for sale on Ebay. You would get more respect if you posted that you were the one selling it and answered questions from the members. This is usually a tough crowd, but can be brutal given something to chew on.

I do wish you good luck with the sale Travis. We own coupes, so it doesn't hurt to see them sell for good numbers.

Dan

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a big +1 to Dan!!!

Not cool coming across like you checked out the car as a potential buyer. Normally I just let this stuff go and ignore it, but it took all of thirty seconds of searching to confirmed that you are the one listing the car for sale on Ebay. You would get more respect if you posted that you were the one selling it and answered questions from the members. This is usually a tough crowd, but can be brutal given something to chew on.

Dan

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

I do wish you good luck with the sale Travis. We own coupes, so it doesn't hurt to see them sell for good numbers.

Dan

One of my used car buying rules is when the seller tries to deceive me, I move on. There will be other cars.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I have owned (5) E9 coupes and have seen numerous more. They ALL had leather Seats

I am no expert on E9s but I have personally owned (5) E9s and ALL (5) have had leather front and rear seats... Two of my best friends have E9s and I have looked at around 15 others during the past 7-8 months since I got involved in E9s and they ALL have had leather seats...

The E9 was the top of the BMW line and a VERY expensive car in the early 1970s... Right there with the MB, Jaguar, Jensen etc all of which had full leather interiors and the E9s were a lot more expensive then a Cadillac which also had leather interior.

Erik at Coupeking also just confirmed that almost ALL US version E9s came with leather seats and usually only Italian models had Vinyl.

So although it was possible I doubt that the car in question originally had vinyl seats...

Scott here are a few photos of the interior of the car being offered and the seat covers are different then the backs which are the original Pigskin type leather. Also the door panel is a different color then the kick panel

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am no expert on E9s but I have personally owned (5) E9s and ALL (5) have had leather front and rear seats... Two of my my best friends have E9s and I have looked at around 15 others during the past 7-8 months since I got involved in E9s and they ALL have had leather seats...

The E9 was the top of the BMW line and a VERY expensive car in the early 1970s... Right there with the MB, Jaguar, Jensen etc all of which had full leather interiors and the E9s were a lot more expensive then a Cadillac which also had leather interior.

Erik at Coupeking also just confirmed that almost ALL US version E9s came with leather seats and usually only Italian models had Vinyl.

So although it was possible I doubt that the car in question originally had vinyl seats...

Scott here are a few photos of the interior of the car being offered and the seat covers are different then the backs which are the original Pigskin type leather. Also the door panel is a different color then the kick panel

Mine has original vinyl, US spec car. May be one of the few. They tend to fare well over time from what I have seen in mine, in E12s, and 2002s, though I have not seen the car in question.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as far as i know, mine is original tan vinyl. the door panels, seats and lower trim pieces under the dash all match. i did see another 2800cs parts car that had a black (embossed) vinyl interior. my seats are not embossed. when i look at the rear armrests pictures on different FS posts, even Tom Whaley's recent big part sell-off, the rear armrests look like vinyl - especially the center armrests that are coming apart. perhaps i am wrong.

i did see another craigslist coupe for sale here in atlanta - it had a blue vinyl interior - but it had been replaced.

when i read some of the answers in the FAQ section of this forum it listed that leather was an option ... but i have also heard that Hoffman ordered many of the cars with Leather.

execmalibu

Reaction score
SOLD for ONLY $15,600! Also no argument that good quality Vinyl outlasts leather...

WOW! 4,665 hits with 41 bids but only sold for $15,600! a VERY Depressing price for a car in a great color combo , right year and with a Sunroof:cry:...

There is a ton of interest in E9s proven by the 4,665 hits but why are these cars so valueless compared to their European contemporaries? If the car was a equal valued car when new like a 911T an MB 280SL or a Jag E-type it would have easily sold for $30-45,000...

It makes no sense?

Also;
I agree the vinyl used in most cars lasts longer and does not dry out and crack like most leather... Leather needs to be oiled/maintained (which nobody ever does).

If I were sent to the front lines in a war instead of the cheap protection provided by the military brass I would wrap myself in good ole Meredes MB Tex... That stuff is totally bullet proof and lasts forever!!!:-D

Last edited:

Terry S.

Reaction score
Cloth interiors were around, too!

ExecMalibu - my '72 CS (delivered in Palm Springs, CA) had a blue VELOUR-type cloth interior with some vinyl side trim. I suspect that it was the original, since it had the horsehair bits still lodged in it. With the help of BLUMAX and his excellent car seat man, I had the seats recovered in the same style correct velour cloth (it almost looks like cordouroy). I haven't seen many other coupes with it, and it is distinct from the Skia type vinyl interiors on the e3s. It is cool in the summer and I'm not afraid to sit in it on 98 degree days wearing shorts here in North Carolina! But I must admit that the leather interiors do suit the coupes nicely.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a ton of interest in E9s proven by the 4,665 hits but why are these cars so valueless compared to their European contemporaries? If the car was a equal valued car when new like a 911T an MB 280SL or a Jag E-type it would have easily sold for $30-45,000...

Part of it might be that most of the general public (non car people) can recognize a 911 or an E-type. I've had my couple mistaken for a Corvair before! :-D