73 3.0cs upgrades????????????

ducks

Reaction score
Recently bought a Euro 73 3.0cs w/webers,4 speed trans. 47K kilometers original 2 owner car,silver n tan. I'm looking fo advice on a header system/exhaust,upgrading the suspension,and brakes, along with wheels.I'd like to ue the car for street/trackuse and am looking for an aggressive exhaust note and ride.I'm using the CSL type front spoiler w/bumer delete and getting a set of CSL fender flares in silver polish look.Alsolooking for any upgrades to air flow on the car. Any thoughts appreciated.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The breathing isn't terribly restricted in these cars. You don't see much from headers/exhaust/intake setups on these cars since the stock systems were so good already. Coupeking does a nice stainless steel exhaust which people are happy with, and Stahl headers are generally accepted, if you don't have a set custom made. Pretty much any M30 header set can be made to work.

Likewise, the brakes are good for even moderate track use if you use the right fluid, right pads, and switch to stainless lines.

The suspension is a bit soft, so some better springs (like Carl Nelson's springs) with some Bilstiens works well.

The big question is, what kind of Webers? (32/36, 38/38, triple 40s?)

ducks

Reaction score
thanks

should I change to ploy bushings, are there anti roll bars avail, does a battery repositioned to the trunk work,can the rear suspension be braced from the trunk at the shock mounts, is there a supplier?

TodB

Reaction score
set up

I'm running Bilstein HDs, Carl's springs and adjustable bars and an Ireland Engineering strut bar with 16" Alpinas. Oh yea, slightly adjusted camber plates also. The car handles remarkably neutral. Having adjustable bars is very helpful. If you're in there, go through the bushings. Check your diff mount also.

For a more sporty sounding exhaust, you can put a straight pipe in place of the most forward muffler. Its a little on the loud side...

Pick your brake pads for the intended application (street or track), maybe up to braided lines if you intend to track and go to a better fluid. You can even fiddle with the brake bias if you feel the need.

I run a CSL like air dam and front bumper delete as well. I shamelessly copied it from another board member, but I'm not proud! Love the look and those slow left laners tend to get out of your way when they see you coming.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Re: thanks

ducks said:
should I change to ploy bushings, are there anti roll bars avail, does a battery repositioned to the trunk work,can the rear suspension be braced from the trunk at the shock mounts, is there a supplier?

You can use the sways from E3/E12 cars, including the M535, which is, if I recall right, the biggest stock sways. If anybody does, Ireland Engineering has a custom set available, as well as the bushings.

ducks

Reaction score
Hmmmm

well, was thinking of perhaps group 2 panels and a spoiler in the rear, but not sure. Does yours have the rear spoiler, had a rubber spoiler on my B6 years agor and it looked great, maybe 3 inches high in black rubber.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I think Dan Kurtuov still has a few of the rubber "duck bill" spoilers, if you don't want to go factory batmobile spoiler on it.

pj

Reaction score
Regarding the sway bars, if you put a big sway bar on the back ,reinforce the mouting bracket . I just found out the hard way in my e36 m3.