'73 Bavaria on BaT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Is this owner on the forum? Does anyone know this car or the owner? It is well described, but the pictures are terrible and will likely hold it back. I love that it doesn't have AC but has a sunroof. A fairly rare combo in a Bavaria.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
"This Bavaria is now offered with a spare windshield, service records, and a clean Washington State title in the seller’s name."

White Lightning,
White Lightning,
this is Ground Beef Control.
Do you read me?
Over.

I read only Good Books
. Over.

Ho, ho, ho!
You must be way out there, Pastor.
Over.

I’m high, all right,
but not on false drugs.

I’m high on the real thing,
Powerful gasoline,
a clean windshield,
and a shoeshine.
Over.

Christoph

Reaction score
Looks like an overall nice car. Very stock look in Chamonix with the Pedrini wheels. Like it. Like the sunroof as well.
Where have radio and console gone? The aerial is there.
The front seats look like balloons. Impossible to tell by the pictures if material and colour are right.
Picture 156 - They should have redone the armrest, too. Sigh.
Picture 187 - A hydraulic spring instead of the torsion springs? Hm.
Pictures 190-193 - Holes for speakers. Gone with the radio?
Pictures 194 & 196 - Is the central bridge on the boot floor bent? If so, why?
Massive oversized sway bars, far too much, but that's only me. Have the bushings on the rear axle been replaced in the process? Couldn't see.
The Weber carburettors look like single-stage ones. Does anyone know what they do to consumption? Usually the late 3.4 litres (92 mm x 86 mm) are really economical for their age and size.
Impressive underside. Could be a buy for the state of the body alone.

@Dick Steinkamp: Both windscreens have to be out to replace the headliner. No tricks. You are right. The seal for the front screen, this one with the narrow moulding, is said to be reproduced in good quality by Stefan Ries of Germany. The seal for the rear screen will be much worse. It looks very poor, and I don't know if it's available.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How common is it to replace with a FI 3.5L and keep a carb set-up? Don’t recall seeing it before, but I’m still a relative newb.

Less complicated, of course.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Here's the solution for a fuse blowing problem - replace each one with a 16 amp fuse...
1624919476bd60e6c1853DSCN0774-scaled.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How common is it to replace with a FI 3.5L and keep a carb set-up? Don’t recall seeing it before, but I’m still a relative newb.

Less complicated, of course.
I replaced my 3.0 w/ a 3.5 and have original Zenith carbs still on there. No reason other than the motor I bought didn't have the injection but was already rebuilt and I'm waiting on a custom injection system. In the meantime it runs great with the Zenith's and they just got tuned a little better for where I live now (approx. 2,100' above sea level) vs. being close to sea level. I was thinking of driving in the ocean once but forgot my snorkel & periscope, so, decided against it. Plus it would need a whole different tune; among other things I'm sure.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I replaced my 3.0 w/ a 3.5 and have original Zenith carbs still on there. No reason other than the motor I bought didn't have the injection but was already rebuilt and I'm waiting on a custom injection system. In the meantime it runs great with the Zenith's and they just got tuned a little better for where I live now (approx. 2,100' above sea level) vs. being close to sea level. I was thinking of driving in the ocean once but forgot my snorkel & periscope, so, decided against it. Plus it would need a whole different tune; among other things I'm sure.

“I was thinking of driving in the ocean once but forgot my snorkel & periscope”

Sounding very Steve Wright-ish there.

One I always remember:

"Do you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" "Yes, but I wasn't planning to be out that long..." (or something like that)

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Did you go that route for simplicity or because you wanted to go triple Webers or something?
I like carburetors. Simple, easy to tune, easy to diagnose. No wires, sensors or ECU's. My main problem was the multiple carbs and the process of synchronizing and balancing them. I now have a tried and true Quadrajet on there, mounted on a euro 4-bbl manifold. No balancing or synchronizing, just very smooth throttle response from idle to 6krpm, and the wonderful whooooop of the Q-jet secondaries. I do have a triple Delorto setup but it'll probably go on Ebay one of these days.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Slightly over where I thought it would end up...I was thinking $17K-ish low end. Hopefully new owner will find his/her way to this site.

Last edited:

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
New owner trying to flip on Ebay? Might as well use the BAT copy...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's a nice car, but I think that after paying $17,550 for it and then transport to Ohio that it will be tough to make a buck on it. The last 3 E3s on BaT sold for (or bid to) about $17 and were all in the condition of this car or better.

Although BaT E3s have gone for somewhat over historical numbers, Hagerty is still showing an EXCELLENT one at $17k and a GOOD one at $7,600.

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 1972 Bav should be hitting BaT soon. Very clean, well sorted highly original car. While many will poo poo the automatic, it was essential for the wife in SoCal, and we made the AC work well!

CSBM5

Reaction score
It's a nice car, but I think that after paying $17,550 for it and then transport to Ohio that it will be tough to make a buck on it. The last 3 E3s on BaT sold for (or bid to) about $17 and were all in the condition of this car or better.

Although BaT E3s have gone for somewhat over historical numbers, Hagerty is still showing an EXCELLENT one at $17k and a GOOD one at $7,600.

Don't forget the 5% buyer's premium BaT charges. $17,550 is actually $18,427.50. Not such a big deal at this price level, but it's too bad BaT doesn't show the price to the buyer. I think they purposely ignore the buyer price display, and it seems to work well for them that way as even bidders think in seller's pricing terms during bidding along with almost all the commenters.