'73 CSI in WA, $4,500

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
cleaned up my pm box. Got 12 more pics. She looks nicer on the outside than mine in many regards.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I got reluctant permission from headquarters to proceed, but I'm on thin ice :D

I'm going to inspect the car on Sunday and I'll bring the means to get it home that day. I'm not buying the car for a song. Assuming that I'm a go, I will bless the community with a new thread on how to part a car. I think it will be fun! (expect for the shipping part :()

Keep you posted!!!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my advice Mark, is to offer parts for sale in small batches. that way you can get the boxing and shipping done. items that fit in flat rate boxes are wonderful - you know what the shipping costs will be. what i can tell you, is that making boxes is a royal PITA ... save packing material.

it was a PITA to do, and i didn't have to take the car apart. you are going to really look at the pieces on the car and see if they are in sellable condition and worth the total price of the car ... obviously there are parts that you will want to keep.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I got reluctant permission from headquarters to proceed, but I'm on thin ice :D

I'm going to inspect the car on Sunday and I'll bring the means to get it home that day. I'm not buying the car for a song. Assuming that I'm a go, I will bless the community with a new thread on how to part a car. I think it will be fun! (expect for the shipping part :()

Keep you posted!!!

I parted one out a couple years ago. It is interesting and at times fun. I learned a lot about how some parts were removed. Also met a lot of E9 brethren during the selling process.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos,

Having parted out three Porsche 928 S4's over the past 10 years, I fully agree with both rsporsche and Stan. Sell the parts off in a small number of offerings once you have them removed, rather than after the dismantling is all done. HUGE headache the latter way (did that with the first one).

Secondly, you will never have an opportunity to understand how the e9's go together as well as you will by dismantling one. It is wonderful experience when you are working on restoration or maintenance of a usable car later on.

Good Luck,

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll quote some of this stuff if I get the car and start a part-out thread. I will also apply some advice. :)

I was wondering, is the E9-Driven VIN info based on build year or model year? It looks like this car (2263445) is a '72...

http://www.e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

The rear bumper doesn't stick out any more than my '71...

I checked realoem and it looks like the fog light panel is NLA. I'm sure someone wants the rear fog setup. I can live without it.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All build years are year it was built in our Registry. Only the US was separating them into model years beginning in Sep. And Euro coupes could have been registered as the year they were sold in. Also, they never got the 73 or big bumpers from 74, same with side markers, only North America got these.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All build years are year it was built in our Registry. Only the US was separating them into model years beginning in Sep. And Euro coupes could have been registered as the year they were sold in. Also, they never got the 73 or big bumpers from 74, same with side markers, only North America got these.

Great that makes sense! I probably won't get a result until Monday, but I sent the VIN to BMWGroup.com for build/delivery info...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Only a wizard with a large pocketbook can save this car. A few parts that I was hoping to keep are damaged, but overall it looks like I may move forward. I need to run some numbers and talk to the WA DOL.

Last edited: