'73 csi - reno on ebay

alanmcg

Reaction score
really nice

this is my fav color/interior - beautiful. if someone is jonesing for a fiord car, buy this one and ill trade.

weird that he says car was orig from oregon, but now in reno, with cal plates??

anybody know anything about this car? or how to get in touch with owner?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Certainly looks nice. I'd change the steering wheel for a CSL type and maybe the radio. I'd also display the CS tag on the back. I wish he would post some hoist shots.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I think I meet the owner several years ago at Historics race in Fernley, Nv. No he wasn't racing!
He wasn't driving the car, but all of the mods on the ebay car are same.
He worked for Siemens at the time.
Lost his card.
Beautiful car!
reno

d-ace

Reaction score
It sure looks good my favorite colors in and out. Although it’s more like $45K once reserve is met. Not bad but no restoration and they all need it. Also I don’t think this is a German spec car more like a USA CS coupe with just an 3.5 Liter hot rod conversion and that don’t change the Vin numbers to say CSI.
At least it has the real kind rims not the stock heavy spoke ones.

tmason

Reaction score
Why were the photo's taken at a storage area,maybe preparation for long term parking? Haven't seen it around town.

bubukitty

Reaction score
I have been poking around on this one as I have an interest in buying this car. The owner splits his time between Reno and San Diego apparently. Car is in San Diego and owner pulls it from storage when in town and drives it. About $20k spent on it since 2007 at Carl Nelson's shop in La Jolla. 3.5 motor with FI conversion, lots of other stuff done to it. Spoke to La Jolla Independent yesterday and they gave me much of this information and they said car is in great shape. Chris at the shop was very helpful and gave me a lot of good information. Paint is a total color change to Royal Blau. Don't know original color. Has non-factory moonroof...not metal but glass. Sounds like a very nice car. I have been trying to arrange a PPI with La Jolla but owner is very non-communicative. Has zero feedback on EBay which is concerning. Not responsive to my inquiries on the EBay site except to tell me to talk with La Jolla Ind. Makes me nervous when a seller does not try make any sort of effort. When trying to sell a car, best to communicate with buyers, especially those that are serious and go through the effort to make contact, ask intelligent questions and demonstrate a desire for the car. Very off-putting so maybe not worth the effort, especially as I am not local to San Diego.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I missing something? For that price shouldn't the wood on the dash be perfect and the seats not look like a rumpled suit? Nice car yes, but it makes me wonder...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe the owner is just really busy...

With all due respect, sometimes people get busy and can't get back to you as quickly as you'd like.

A few years ago I sold off a bunch of NOS (20 year old) 2002 sheet metal for about 30 cents on the dollar. I travel a lot for work, work 12 hours days, and generally can't take phone calls easily during work hours.
Some of the people who bought this sheet metal spent weeks chasing me down. And the guys who weren't persistent/patient/polite didn't get squat.

If Chris at La Jolla says it's good, I'm sure it's a good car. See if Chris can contact the seller and arrange the PPI for you.

John

bubukitty

Reaction score
Maybe the Owner is Just Really Busy

He responded a couple of times yesterday with no information except to contact La Jolla. I am very busy myself and taking the time out to ask a few questions about the car. He provided no information except to put the burden on Chris at La Jolla. I believe it is a good car too and got the straight scoop from Chris, so I remain interested. However, when one puts a listing on EBay and then refuses to supply information on what is a very expensive purchase, then that is problematic. I have made numerous purchases on EBay, and common courtesy is for a seller to respond to questions about an item. My questions were not too onerous and I made only a couple of contacts, and I was happy to speak to Chris. Chris made the suggestion to have the seller contact him to make the PPI. He is running a business and it should not be his burden to run down the owner to arrange. So, I contacted the seller to arrange and have not heard back. So, there it is. If he contacts me to arrange, I will follow through.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
ok so

ok, so tell the seller you won't bid unless he contacts you and facilitates resolving your needs. If he blows you off, buy a different car.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
With all due respect, sometimes people get busy and can't get back to you as quickly as you'd like.

A few years ago I sold off a bunch of NOS (20 year old) 2002 sheet metal for about 30 cents on the dollar.

If this coupe was being offered at 30 cents on the dollar, I guarantee buyers would be more persistent. Starting an ad for something and then not being available doesn't make sense in my book, unless its noted in the ad (set expectations).

bubukitty

Reaction score
I think I may have to blow this one off unfortunately. I have waited for a day for him to respond on doing the PPI and the time clock is ticking on his auction, so there may not be enough time to inspect it before the auction ends next Tuesday. If he is this hard to reach when the auction is live, not sure what to expect when the auction ends and one tries to transact closing the sale. Think I will keep looking. Someone has placed the minimum bid on it on the EBay site so perhaps things will work out for them. Thanks for your thoughts.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I saw this at the bottom of the ad I figured he might be difficult to deal with:

"ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS!!! BARGAIN HUNTERS DONT BOTHER! I WILL JUST STORE CAR LONG-TERM INSTEAD OF LOW BALL OFFERS"

:)

rwolak

Reaction score
Obviously another coupe owner who is shopping his car at a high price and, if it sells, fine.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Surprised someone selling such a car would not make an appearance here.

d-ace

Reaction score
Personally I like his style and understand it completely with a few of my tire kickers I have had answering over 70 emails of their mindless questions and don’t even understand the structure of the CSI I am selling.

EXAMPLE
“ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS!!! BARGAIN HUNTERS DONT BOTHER! I WILL JUST STORE CAR LONG-TERM INSTEAD OF LOW BALL OFFERS:”

Q: I am a very serious buyer. Can I call you tomorrow to ask some questions? I would
like to arrange indep inspection. Scott Jordan 208-***-****.
A: Most questions have already been asked and posted. Sorry, I am not interested in speaking continuously to each party.

The man obviously knows what he has and obviously what it is worth and does not want to endlessly discuss it with tire kickers so he put it on ebay to control the sale.

It must be working he has three bids now.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems like Scott Jordan is a smart guy to me

What is saving this seller is a beautiful Carl Nelson set-up.

d-ace

Reaction score
I don’t see any mention of any work done by a Carl Nelson on the ebay auction page? You maybe talking about a setup Carl Nelson does, but I have seen 3.5-liter cylinders placed on 3.0 blocks since the early 1980’s and many used the close ratio 5-speed trans in those days too. The 1978 Euro 635CSI came with a 3.0 block and a 3.5-liter cylinders plus an Alpina cam. My family has owned a few in the past I have a 1979 635CSI Alpina right now and the German specs motor and suspension are way different than the North America ones that were released in the early 1980’s (82-83) and sold for around $70K here new.