73 e9 Clock was inop - replaced - clock wires only read 2.6 but reads 12.35 when connected to small 12 v battery - still inop

Roman596061

Reaction score
My 73 e9 clock was inop.

I replaced it with a NOS clock.

The clock wires in the car only read 2.6 volts but reads 12.35 volts when connected to small 12 v battery but it still won't function.

All ideals are welcomed...

Thanks

Richard
73 e9 3.0 CS Five-Speed
73 e3 3.0 S Five Speed

Attachments

• e9 Clock Voltmeter.jpg
    e9 Clock Voltmeter.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 46

Mike Goble

Reaction score
You probably have a bad connection on the power line for the clock. Every circuit is basically a voltage divider and the drops around the circuit are proportional to the resistance of the elements of the circuit. If you read 12v on the clock power wire before you plug it in and 2.6v after you plug it in means that the wire has roughly four times the resistance of the clock. If the clock works off a small battery, I will suspect a faulty connection in the wire.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A few observations,
If the clock is NOS it must work with the external battery because N in NOS stands for New...
If it doesn't work, you have bigger problems.

Assuming a 1mA draw it means the path resistance is tens of thousands of ohms... could be on the ground path or the 12V path. You can measure the ground path resistance with the ohmeter between clock ground and battery ground to see if that is the problem.

I like the wood center detail in that clock.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,
Yes, I knew it was from a 2000 CS, although it should still function.

Thanks

Richard

Obviously your call… Personally, I would rather have a broken factory correct clock than an incorrect functional clock. They do not look the same and the wood grain dials never came on the e9.