73 E9 Rear Bumper parts

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am missing some parts that are unique to the 73 rear Bumper as show in the attached. My understanding is these parts are NLA. Item #7 looks like a solid piece of rubber which I can fabricate if anyone can provide the basic dimensions. The other concern I have is putting holes in my body. The rear sheet metal is new and there are no holes for which looks like a bolt thru into the rubber, I personally prefer to not drill if at all possible.

The other rubber part is a cover that I doubt can be fabricated - mine are usable but not in very good shape any suggestions?

Looking for some advice.

Attachments

• REAR BUMPER.pdf
    237.6 KB · Views: 161

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The covers for your hoops can be reinforced by cutting some sheet aluminum and JBWelding it to the underside of the rubber. Spray them with PlastiDip for a great textured original look or even just use SEM Trim Black spray. Yes, a bolt is needed as the attachment to the bumper is with a screw and speedclip, not strong enough to hold it up.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The covers for your hoops can be reinforced by cutting some sheet aluminum and JBWelding it to the underside of the rubber. Spray them with PlastiDip for a great textured original look or even just use SEM Trim Black spray. Yes, a bolt is needed as the attachment to the bumper is with a screw and speedclip, not strong enough to hold it up.
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on the hard rubber part inside the bumper - etts?

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure if any of these photos help but I have the bumper off my 73 at the moment so here you go: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LYjXbMneoPuQ61qG6

Those bumperette blocks have some complex curves. I don't think you're going to be able to fab from photos. If you'd like, you can borrow mine to use for molds/measuring. I won't need them again for a while, if ever.

On that note, I'm thinking of pulling my bumpers in to 72 tolerance. If anyone has 71/72 bumper brackets for sale I'd be interested. I realize this will entail filling and drilling new holes for the ends.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the early bumpers don't use brackets on the rear ... they bolt directly to the body. the front bumper does have a bracket and its different from the '73.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure if any of these photos help but I have the bumper off my 73 at the moment so here you go: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LYjXbMneoPuQ61qG6

Those bumperette blocks have some complex curves. I don't think you're going to be able to fab from photos. If you'd like, you can borrow mine to use for molds/measuring. I won't need them again for a while, if ever.

On that note, I'm thinking of pulling my bumpers in to 72 tolerance. If anyone has 71/72 bumper brackets for sale I'd be interested. I realize this will entail filling and drilling new holes for the ends.
Thank you for taking time to measure and photograph your rear bumper and components. I did finally get all the parts together and assembled. I notice my body is not drilled for the lower bolt that goes thru the rubber block into the bumperette. It looks OK without the rubber block - I will attempt to fabricate these from your detail. As usual once I got into this I found the Bow end caps faulty PN: 51121823111/12 - mounting holes stripped. There seems to alwyas be something to find/repair/fab.

Thanks very much!!