73 Euro on BaT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think Covid fatigue is setting in here. Not the seller nor BaT was trying to defraud anyone. Calling the car "illegal goods" is a pretty big stretch (IMO). The car had a valid BC registration and the discrepancy was clearly pointed out in the BaT listing. If it is not the car for you because of that (or for any other reason), don't bid. Driving the discrepancy into the ground over and over and over serves no purpose.

In retrospect, the seller might have done better if he had discussed the discrepancy with ICBC first. Perhaps a clear statement from ICBC validating the registration with the known discrepancy or a new registration that satisfied all their requirements (if some were not met), would have helped. But probably not. The need for entertainment in time of Covid would likely still result in the same type and number of posts.

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
I agree bat should have the used resources and experience to check the details in BC. I mean, even I know this.
What could have been an subject worth discussing is now degraded to name calling and wannabe policing of all things.
The comment about vin numbers North of the border is supposed to be funny?
The procedures for ’pigskin’ cars varies. In BC you get a new regular 17 digit vin. Not so everywhere, some jurisdictions may allow you to keep the short vin.
Retrospectively, I am sure the seller is wishing he had known this. But, he didn’t even realize there was an issue...
The comments about facilitating crime blah blah.., the comparing it to a firearm and calling the guy and bat criminals is, in my opinion, more than a stretch. It’s unfortunate.
But, it’s usually the guy yelling the loudest that is wrong.

Any comments on the legality of a repaired frame?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The comments about facilitating crime blah blah.., the comparing it to a firearm and calling the guy and bat criminals is, in my opinion, more than a stretch. It’s unfortunate.
But, it’s usually the guy yelling the loudest that is wrong.

Any comments on the legality of a repaired frame?

Look you can distill this to name calling if you wish @restart, but get the facts straight. No names were called. The owner’s intention was never put into question. Rather, he was commended for his transparency and educated on the severity of his problem.

Obviously BaT isn’t intentionally attempting to sell illegal cars, but if the winning bid was from a US buyer it would indeed be the sale of illegal goods. I’m not suggesting that anyone call in the calvary but a duck is a duck. This is an established federal crime that has had action taken on it in the past at the state and federal level. There will be no crackdowns and I never suggested anything of the sort.

BaT sold 11K cars last year. That is 30 cars a day. They have staff in charge of validating vehicles and assessing viability, safety, and legality of sales. Somebody screwed up with this ad. Where I work, when you screw up you take accountabilty. BaT did so as well, and resolved the issue accordingly. Another impulsive BaT addict didn’t lose their shirt. I’m sure that internally, someone got a lecture on how VIN’s work.

FWIW - I’m not COVID fatigued. Last I checked I error on the side of posting facts whenever possible and amend incorrect statements when needed. This car is factually illegal to buy, import, and sell in the US. It is also illegal to sell illegal goods and services. Nothing I said is outrageous or incorrect, despite any one member’s opinion on the severity.

I’m not trying to play eagle scout. My CSI had the chassis VIN hacked off and the only remaining VIN was the WA state import tag. I didn’t buy it from an established online auction, and I didn’t try to cross international borders with it. I registered it, parted it, and crushed the remaining 400lbs of steel. I also noted in the registry that the VIN is missing but the car was crushed.

Regarding the legal nonsense, If I haven’t said it enough times, I am referring to US laws. If you read my BaT comments I suggested that the owner sell locally. I would much rather play internet lawyer before a transaction is finalized versus after. If we had a new member join showing us his new BaT purchase with mismatched VIN’s I’m sure that many would be clamoring for BaT to issue a full refund. One might ask how that would play out in small claims court if the high volume online auction house knew the VIN’s didn’t match.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Better late than...No wait, the fact that BAT was willing to list it in the first place borders on criminal.

In their explanation BAT claims that they may relist the car if the owner can get the VIN issue "ironed out". The ironing should have been done before the listing.
The only way to get it "ironed out" is for the seller complete the difficult task of finding replacement title company who can legally supply a title for VIN 2240704 (which is what this car is from the firewall back). Then replacing the VIN Plate to match the firewall stamping. I wish him luck.
Except it is not a US 73, it’s a legit euro with the wrong firewall.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kudos to Chris, Markos and Mike for pushing back against the seller's "no big deal" approach.

It is quite clear that the seller either cannot or will not fully explain how the problem arose. The seller did not state that the firewall had been replaced in his initial description of the car. It was only after DennisLJacob speculated about that a replacement firewall that the seller posted "my guess is that the firewall was changed..." and later that because of rust, a replacement firewall was "likely sourced..." Neither of these comments are a definitive answer to the questions raised.

While I think it more likely this was an innocent mistake, it is also possible that the seller knew what he was attempting to do, and was pretty slick in backpeddling when he discovered it wasn't going to work.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you'd like an example of how much leway Bat will cut, here's a prime example. 140k for a full VIN swap 911. I don't know who the buyer was and what became of the car but I sure wouldn't want to own it...

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
BaT sold 11K cars last year. That is 30 cars a day. They have staff in charge of validating vehicles and assessing viability, safety, and legality of sales.

I don’t know about BAT, but my general
impression of the classic car market is that big volume sellers moving lots of cars under $200k don’t check carefully, and in many cases willingly turn a blind eye to evidence suggesting issues. When a buyer runs into a problem they gladly refund the $.

I am not very savvy or experience on this, having not been to many auctions am not on a first name basis with the owners of the big auction companies. But several of my pals buy cars at the E9 price level as whims and I’ve been surprised how often the cars have ‘stories’ resulting in refunds.

AFAIK, those stories could easily have been resolved with a little bit of effort by the selling companies. I suspect it is cheaper to provide a refund 2% of the time than to maintain a paid staff to verify all iffy issues with every car advertised.

Finally, I’ve never listed anything in BAT so I have no idea how thoroughly they verify everything about the cars they ‘sell’. They might be scrupulously detailed in checking before ‘selling,’ but my gut tells me they are more like craigslist in that they aren’t legally responsible for mid info from the real sellers.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
BaT is simply an online venue for sellers to list there cars. They do have a dealers license for when they sell their own cars, which they do every once in a while. So they aren't technically dealers representing the cars listed but the avenue for listing. For that exposure avenue, they charge the seller the commission. Having sold a couple cars on there for myself and friends, they don't check on the accuracy of what the seller presents but do check on the basics like ownership proof. You'll see a lot of words like "allegedly" and "according to the seller" used much more often in the last 2-3 years as the stakes have gotten higher and, I imagine, legal actions have taken place...

Having said that, a VIN swap is blatent and illegal. They should have known better...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They might be scrupulously detailed in checking before ‘selling,’ but my gut tells me they are more like craigslist in that they aren’t legally responsible for mid info from the real sellers.

I don’t think they are simple. Craigslist accepts no money from the seller. BaT is making money on all of these cars. That means they can afford staff and should have to monitor their content closely. The fact is that they do monitor the content, require minimum entrance requirements, and respond to discussions. They have already set precedence on how they behave with auctions so they can’t claim that they are an uninvolved platform.