73 green e9 BAT

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks decent; not a fan of that green though, so may hurt its pricing.

Front floors patched, and way way too much gloss black spray paint underneath.

Something a bit funky with the sloppy paintwork on the shock towers. Maybe ok, but can't really tell from the pictures.

1973_bmw_3-0cs_15437684337dff9f98764daDSC_6594.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It may not be correct, but I prefer seam sealer, if possible, to be put on the UNDERSIDE and then painted.

Just looks awful otherwise.

Philippe db

Reaction score
To me this looks like a car that received a lot of cheap cosmetics to make it look a lot better than it really is.

That being said love the seats.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might be a Canadian delivery coupe as it has the embossed vinyl seats. VIN plate has been relocated, it’s an early 73 too.
And I think the front bumper guards look just fine.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It does appear that it has had a fair amount of pre-sale prep work done (the glossy black on the underside most notably). As with any coupe, it should be looked at in person - there seems to be a lot of good as well. That front view looks really crisp.
1973_bmw_3-0cs_154376860566e7dff9f98764daDSC_6542.jpg

Philippe db

Reaction score
There clearly is something wrong with that Front bumper. Apart from sitting to high the right side is not aligned with the left side. Rubber also sitting upside down but that is the easy fix I guess.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There clearly is something wrong with that Front bumper. Apart from sitting to high the right side is not aligned with the left side. Rubber also sitting upside down but that is the easy fix I guess.
Oh my, I can't believe I looked right past the crooked bumper. But I believe the rubber over riders are correct. That was a change on 73s along with the looped 5 mph brackets.

shanon

Reaction score
happy to go poke it with a stick if needed and my life schedule permits.

hth

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that more of this car was repainted recently than what the ad suggests. It's obviously been refreshed, but the refresh looks nice. If the price is right it seems like a nice enjoyable car. We are missing shots of the critical rust areas like above the glovebox and fusebox, and under the rear seats. Sometimes I want to sell a car on BAT just to do it right. :D

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think that more of this car was repainted recently than what the ad suggests. It's obviously been refreshed, but the refresh looks nice. If the price is right it seems like a nice enjoyable car. We are missing shots of the critical rust areas like above the glovebox and fusebox, and under the rear seats. Sometimes I want to sell a car on BAT just to do it right. :D

"...reportedly repainted in 1988 and was again refreshed below the belt line approximately five years ago..."

Do you mean even NEWER than 5 years? Maybe.

Below the belt-line...sure would have been nice to include restoration/repair photos of this "refresh".

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
"...reportedly repainted in 1988 and was again refreshed below the belt line approximately five years ago..."

Below the belt-line...sure would have been nice to include restoration/repair photos of this "refresh".

Interesting. What's the percentage of having to refresh the bottom instead of the top? I know we're just BS'n now but refreshing the bottom makes me think there was some metal "refreshing" too.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

No not necessarily. I just think that more than"before the belt line" was refreshed 5 years ago. If you look at the inner fender picture that you posted, there are two different agave colors in that pic. There is also a clear tape line where the colors don't match. The paint is also quite fresh for an engine bay. The seller either doesn't know or is omitting information. The seller has already omitted information related to spraying the underside. I don't think there is anything shady going on at all. I just think that details are being left out. I think it seems like a nice car overall. I'd certainly be proud to drive it around town.

This area is above the belt line and in the engine bay. See the tape line?
1973_bmw_3-0cs_15437684337dff9f98764daDSC_6594.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint is an orange peel disaster if you ask me.
The write up says to me this "Shop" plucked this car from the wilds of North Central PA, did a little reading about coupe values increasing and dressed it up as best they could. They had no malicious intentions to defraud but also probably were not aware of the issues with these Karmann built beauties. If this car always lived in this locale, it endured 45 years of many brutal Central PA winters, blizzard after blizzard and PennDOT crews spreading thousands of tons of SALT on the roads every winter.

If I was seriously interested in this coupe I would be really, really careful and want an eyes on inspection. Although I live about five hours from Sacramento, PA we only have six days and we are pushing up against Christmas. And I would only go if a buddy who knows far more than I do and has a sharper eye would come with me.

Can the seller post more photos? More details? Any more history?

Steve