'74 Bavaria near Seattle

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not mine, but interested... anyone in the Seattle area know of this dealer? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/bavaria/2484378.html

Some of the mods are a bit too much and the overall look is more poser than substantial performance, but I still kinda dig it.

Need this like a hole in the head but before I spring for a PPI would appreciate any local knowledge on the car or dealer. Thanks!

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not mine, but interested... anyone in the Seattle area know of this dealer? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/bavaria/2484378.html

Some of the mods are a bit too much and the overall look is more poser than substantial performance, but I still kinda dig it.

Need this like a hole in the head but before I spring for a PPI would appreciate any local knowledge on the car or dealer. Thanks!
Dealer is well known in the area an is also the local Aston Martin and Lotus dealer.

Most of the classics are consignment and they will do the job they do for a while and then if no buyers will suggest to owner taking the car to Mecum or Barrett Jackson, often they will supply 30-40 cars to the Scottsdale BJ auction.

This would sit at the bottom end of their offerings, but I of course make no comment on the car itself in that regard. As most cars are consignment and therefore quality is a bit all over the place on the old stuff, although nearly always shining and decent.

Somebody needs to take a look and I know we have a few people that live very close to them, but if nobody steps up, I could take a look on Monday for you, sorry busy weekend.

I could also put you in touch with a salesman if you like, that at least knows me?

Happy to do so on Monday if that works

Pete

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The interior and body and paint look very well done. I especially like the plaid interior. Something Porsche has been successful with. I do think that dash carpet is there for a good reason, however. :(

Like E9s, modified E3s have a limited audience and are not going to bring the same money as stock ones, or at least stock appearing ones. I believe this to be true ESPECIALLY for E3s. After all, they are big, boxy, comfortable sedans...and loved by most because of that. More powerful M30s and 5 speeds, however, seem to help the value more than they hurt for both models.

I've built a lot of cars, and probably more hot rods and modified ones than stockers. However, I think the heavy modifications coupled with the automatic and stock appearing engine on this one are going to need a special buyer to step up to the asking price.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@CSL177 -Russ - you KNOW whomever did that interior, owned early 911's at some point... the tartan bug bit deep. It's all OK with the exception of the door panels and the trunk... You'll have to check the wheel wells. He's probably done those as well. Lol

I agree with Dick, on that dash pad. It's hiding something bad which you can see peaking out in at least one of the pics. Drop a 5-spd in and build a 3.5L!

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen, figured cars like this were consignment. His Hemming's ads always seem to be examples like this.

Agreed on the tartan, but the biggest offenders are the Alpina wheel and headrest embroidery. I requested undercarriage photos, as well as under door and inner fender shots. Dry and clean in those areas will make it a good bit more interesting. The dash is clearly cracked in more than one area, common enough on old BMWs.

@tferrer - Tyson, you know that in a corner of my shop sits a very nice S38 that has waited for a new home a looong time.

@BMW Pete your generous offer is greatly appreciated, Monday or any day at your convenience... enjoy the weekend! You have PM.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@CSL177 - oh, THAT will make a great build thread. Fingers crossed on what Pete discovers. You'd be hard pressed to get a more knowledgeable set of eyes...

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know Park Place Ltd very well and have examined this car in person.
(I’ve had several Bavs in the past, so kinda know em a bit)
my honest opinion is ‘Keep Looking’
There are far better examples out there and this is near top of the market price for an e3.
Lots of dodginess and rattle can work. Splotchy paint. Automatic trans. Poorly fittting foam 2002 trunk spoiler. Trunk tool-kit is fused shut. Spray bombed trunk panels. Repro windsplitters on fenders. A tarted-up poser car that’s kinda ragged throughout but looks decent on your monitor. It also suffered a parking lot fender/rear corner accident at PP that required several months in the shop to repair.
imo, it’s a $10-15k car tops.

Last edited:

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@3nsahalee, thank you for the gritty... as we all know, photos lie. Got the unblemished shots this afternoon and it looks OK underneath, but concur the ask is seriously optimistic.
To be fair to the seller, previous damage was disclosed... as a consignment they're best served by presenting honestly, so good on them.

@Mot27cars it's pretty simple really, the transverse rear muffler was modified with four outlets. No sense to it but it looks cool.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As an owner of a pristine stock E3..........I say what my grandmother use to say when I was out of line....."oy vey". Some facelifts do more harm than good.

I also never understood this S38 thing. I love my S38 but it is in its home in my M6. I do not know the weight difference but is it really better off in an E9 or E3? Actually an honest question.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@HB Chris, always liked that look, early E12 sedans (both 518/520 and 530i} sported the same very distinctive center exhausts.

@bavbob, as a Euro M635 owner I hear you... but for lots of folks an S38 is a natural hotrod swap for either E3 or E9, provided the base car isn't too nice to modify.
This one's a likely candidate since it's tarted up already. Not sure that curb weight differences matter as much as the suspension and brake upgrades needed to do it right.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
For me, its the head snapping back with the engine roar, thus the weight....or should I say the meters /second/second. So in that sense I get it. Shop in town has a beautiful 3.0 CSi but owner wants your M88 in it which I dont get and neither will he since the conversion is a nightmare.