74 BMW CS on CL Reno

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As it has a BAR sticker from 1994 it will require smog in CA unless it has fallen out of the system. This car was in the original Registry in Oakland.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does the rare CS Register window decal cancel out the big bumpers.

A syllogism for the philosophers, all of usens, on the board.

I think ergo(therefor) I am.

I am a coupe who spent my whole life in So Cal ergo I am rust free. Or almost rust free, or mostly rust free, or unless you know where and how to look you can't find my rust.

renorennsport

Reaction score
This is my car. I recently acquired it as a package deal when I bought two other cars (Porsches) from a very good customer of mine. It really is as "rust free" as I claim. I know, cue the comments about what "rust free" means for a Coupe..... Let's just say it's a really, really, nice car.

Please see below for the reason I'm selling it.

Some of the upgrades include:
Motronic 3.5 from an '88 735i. Runs and dives flawlessly. Great daily driver.
Getrag 265. Shifts great, even on hard downshifts.
Combination of new stock and custom stainless steel exhaust (see photos)
All new suspension bushings and sway bar links.
New Bilstein shocks/struts and aftermarket springs.
Hydroboost brakes of course.
Drivers seat has been re-padded (original leather)
0 miles on powder coated 16" staggered BBS RA wheels and Yokohama tires.
Nardi wheel (needs a coat of varnish) Original included if you want it.

Notes:
One of the interior photos makes it look like the headliner is discolored. It isn't - it must just be the camera, or weird lighting.
The vinyl dash is uncracked and in great condition.
The dash wood is in very good condition, but could use a coat of varnish.
Original leather interior and all door panels are in VG condition.
It has electric windows and sunroof, all working well (sunroof switch is bad)
New starter just last week.

If you want to convert it to non-diving board bumpers I have a set of euro bumpers that I would sell for a very reasonable price - to the right person.

If you're not keen on the 16" BBS RA wheels I'll gladly swap them out for a set of 14" Alpinas with good tires.

I presently have a '73 Coupe (and an e28 M5, and a '72 E3 3.0S, and a '73 2002tii, and an E12, and another E28....) As well a couple of Porsches, so I really don't NEED this car, or I would just keep it. If I had half a brain I would keep it and sell my '73, as this '74 is actually in much better condition.

Brian

renorennsport

Reaction score
Shameless Bump.....

I am now ready to properly list this car for sale.

I thought I would give the E9 board a chance before listing it on Fleabay or CL.

I will be asking $40K (pretty firm) It's a great car. Super clean and rust free (California and Nevada car) No issues, runs and drives like a dream.

Any questions, please PM me or email me at: [email protected]

Thanks, Brian

PS: I also have an '88 M5 that will be going up for sale soon if anyone out there knows someone that is in the market for a nice original E28 M5.

Carmen

Reaction score
questions

The wheels are listed in the ad but when I called about the car you told me you were selling the car without them. Are they in or out? Also, did you ever get the AC back in the car?

CoachKel

Reaction score
When was the coupe repainted?

Shameless Bump.....

I am now ready to properly list this car for sale.

I thought I would give the E9 board a chance before listing it on Fleabay or CL.

I will be asking $40K (pretty firm) It's a great car. Super clean and rust free (California and Nevada car) No issues, runs and drives like a dream.

Any questions, please PM me or email me at: [email protected]

Thanks, Brian

PS: I also have an '88 M5 that will be going up for sale soon if anyone out there knows someone that is in the market for a nice original E28 M5.

renorennsport

Reaction score
For the asking price the 16" BBS RA wheels and brand new Yokohama tires come with the car.

If someone wants to negotiate,... I would gladly swap out those for 14" Alpinas with good (but old) Yokohama tires 225/55/r14. Or they can have the original 14" stock turbine wheels with nearly new 185 tires. I'm open for wheel options as there are other cars I can put the 16" RA wheels on.

I'm honestly not sure if it's ever been repainted. As far as I can tell it might actually be the original paint. If it was, it was a window out complete job done prior to ownership of the guy I bought the car from (he owned it for about 15 years) as I haven't seen any over spray, tape lines or paint on any trim pieces. The paint shows very well. He did give me a few rattle cans of custom mixed Polaris Silver paint that I assume he used when he did the engine conversion. There is one spot on the top of one of the front wheel arches where the clear coat has failed, and there are two small dings - one on the flat surface between the hood and nose, and another (where something fell against it) on the right front hard edge of the body. If that makes any sense.....

renorennsport

Reaction score
Oh yeah,

There is no AC compressor in the car right now.

It was originally an AC car, so everything inside the car is still there and the fan works, etc. All the lines were properly capped and have remained sealed.

But it would be up to the buyer to sort the AC system out. There are lots of different directions you can go, as far as originality vs actually reliability blowing cold air year after year.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
maybe i'm wrong, but why would a 40k coupe require the buyer to restore A/C. this is a pretty car ... but, c'mon ...

just thinkin' outloud

renorennsport

Reaction score
I guess because I don't really care about A/C?

I personally kind of hate dealing with older A/C systems as no one ever seems to be 100% happy with how cold they actually blow.... No matter what you do compressor wise at least half of the system was still designed and built in 1974. If you never actually use it, it seems like a bit of a hassle to keep a vintage A/C system charged up and good to go.

Having said that, If the buyer is keen on A/C I'd be thrilled to install a compressor, replace the hoses and charge it up.

renorennsport

Reaction score
I guess my point is, what's more important in an E9; A rust free, great driving, well sorted car - or having ice cold A/C?

We all make our choices in life.......

One small rust bubble in an E9 equals about seven complete A/C systems.

rb1971

Reaction score
I agree re the AC - I sourced all the parts to make mine work (including the interior parts since mine was original a no-AC car), and stopped before hooking up the compressor and final hoses. I've driven in up to 85F weather and never really thought I'd rather have the AC on than have the windows open, and in any event here in SF I almost never turn on the AC in any car.

Of course I am a bit of two minds on this point and the AC in my Lincoln does work - but in that case, I knew those old US systems actually can be made to blow very cold.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like 2 different worlds....

Living in the Atlanta without ac is like living in Reno without heat....

Days per month in Reno of at least 70, 80 or 90 °F
70 °F
21 °C 80 °F
27 °C 90 °F
32 °C
January 0 0 0
February 1 0 0
March 3 0 0
April 9 2 0
May 20 9 1
June 27 20 8
July 31 30 21
August 31 29 18
September 27 20 6
October 16 5 0
November 2 0 0
December 0 0 0
Year 166 114 54

Average Atlanta temperatures
High °F Low °F High °C Low °C
52 34 January 11 1
57 38 February 14 3
65 44 March 18 7
73 52 April 23 11
80 60 May 27 16
86 68 June 30 20
89 71 July 32 22
88 71 August 31 22
82 65 September 28 18
73 54 October 23 12
64 45 November 18 7
54 37 December 12 3
72 53 Year 22 12

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my point is simple, if you are selling a coupe for a strong price, it all needs to be there. rust free alone doesn't get you to 40k. believe me, i want to see our coupes trade in the 40's

but good luck on the sale

renorennsport

Reaction score
Meh, I'll probably go ahead and plumb the compressor in, then charge it up next week, just to make sure everything works.

Seriously, I almost never use the A/C here, even in my black X5. And I also drive an early 911 at least a few days every week during the summer - and I haven't died yet.....

Reno gets plenty hot for a few weeks here and there in the summer; but hot here, is nothing like hot in Atlanta or NY. As they say, "it's a dry heat" heh heh

Like I said, Unless it sells right away, I'll probably just go ahead and hook the A/C up in the next week or so.....

BL