74 Bumper conversion Bracket

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know where I could get my hands on some of the 74 Front bumper conversion brackets that at one point seemed to be available by forum member " @pamp "? They look like a great solution for a relatively straightforward conversion. I had also heard Coupking had something and reached out to them but still waiting to hear back.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 165

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They are all gone as far I know. Coupeking has been talking about re making some but I don’t believe that has happened yet.

Not sure what your picture is of but those are definitely not the 74 brackets.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought I had bookmarked all conversion threads & one included the measurements or jig dimensions of the conversion brackets, but I cant find it again. Was I dreaming that? Maybe it was in the register?

It’s interesting to compare the e21 & 2002 conversion kits on blunttech vs the pics of e9
approaches here. I think preserving the shock is a good thing if you can do it. If you have to bleed them, I’d dump them as part of chipping away at the extra weight on 74s.

Following is long OT rambling:
I was about to have someone do some experimental trimming on some pretty trashed 73 bumpers I picked up relatively cheaply.
Then I spent some time with hammer/dolly, a few chemicals and polisher & the damn things still need work but are too good to potentially ruin with all the visible chrome intact.

Going back to the drawing board. I’m still hoping to get rid of (or at least narrowing) the rubber trim to come up with a single-piece chrome bumper with deleted overriders but retaining the general shape of the pre-74s. Sacrilege I know, but to my addled sensibilities even the pre-74 bumpers’ size, multiple lines, pieces, and materials distract from the car’s design. I’ll probably just end up w traditional, but I can’t get rid of the nagging voice saying there’s gotta be a way to simplify the design w/o going wild. I know the 2000CS are probably the solution, but I haven’t seen that work great, either.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought I had bookmarked all conversion threads & one included the measurements or jig dimensions of the conversion brackets, but I cant find it again. Was I dreaming that? Maybe it was in the register?

It’s interesting to compare the e21 & 2002 conversion kits on blunttech vs the pics of e9
approaches here. I think preserving the shock is a good thing if you can do it. If you have to bleed them, I’d dump them as part of chipping away at the extra weight on 74s.

Following is long OT rambling:
I was about to have someone do some experimental trimming on some pretty trashed 73 bumpers I picked up relatively cheaply.
Then I spent some time with hammer/dolly, a few chemicals and polisher & the damn things still need work but are too good to potentially ruin with all the visible chrome intact.

Going back to the drawing board. I’m still hoping to get rid of (or at least narrowing) the rubber trim to come up with a single-piece chrome bumper with deleted overriders but retaining the general shape of the pre-74s. Sacrilege I know, but to my addled sensibilities even the pre-74 bumpers’ size, multiple lines, pieces, and materials distract from the car’s design. I’ll probably just end up w traditional, but I can’t get rid of the nagging voice saying there’s gotta be a way to simplify the design w/o going wild. I know the 2000CS are probably the solution, but I haven’t seen that work great, either.

Thanks Jay. I like every other 74 owner have also landed on just about every post relating to bumper conversion possible. Not sure I saw the design/dimensions for the bracket but if they are out there it would be of much help. A few threads to walk through the conversion but of course those are the unfortunately also the ones that seem to have non working pictures. I typically like to tackle a project like this knowing precisely what i'm getting into before starting although against my better judgement I may just have to jump and and figure it out as I go this time around.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I like every other 74 owner I typically like to tackle a project like this knowing precisely what i'm getting into before starting although against my better judgement I may just have to jump and and figure it out as I go this time around.

Google Chrome with the Flickr add-in sometimes reveals the older pics. It seems not to work as well as it once did.

At the end of the day, car-side brackets require basic non-cosmetic cutting, bending, and welding. That’s easier said than done for me. I could stumble through it, but the trial & error route w/o measurements or jig would be very time consuming. (Although, family friend just gave me an old plasma cutter, which could expedite if it isn’t a ship
anchor.)