74 coupe in Santa Monica

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting `74 on eBay in Santa Monica, # 280600790073. Claims Alpina Green is an original color? It has lost its electric mirrors and check out the strut tops which have been redrilled to correct an alignment issue. Looks fairly rough inside and in engine area. CA license plates are circa `84. Can't imagine anyone will offer the opening bid but I might be mistaken.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's mine.

Greetings, Chris.

I bought that car. I did pay what the seller was asking. 'Rough' is about right for the interior, however most of the interior parts were included with the sale (in a separate cardboard box) so I'll have everything I need to work with when putting it back together. The drilled shock mounts were a warning sign to me too, but I intended to overhaul the suspension anyway. The body seems arrow straight and I had a hard time finding any significant rust. I bought it and drove it from Point Dume where it resided up to Van Nuys the next day. I'm a pretty happy guy.

Attachments

• E9 -100.jpg
    E9 -100.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 243

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and coupe ownership, this is a great resource for any info you'l need for your new purchase.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I looked at the car before David and thought it looked pretty solid...

Dave,
I knew about that car for about 6 months and considered buying it for a while... I checked it out 3 times... But having absolutely no experience with E9 restorations, I passed...

The car was very solid rust wise, a good color combo and had both a 4 speed and a Sunroof... Mike said that you have access to restoration people...

Finally I decided a totally done car made a lot more sense for my needs and ended up with this...

Good luck and enjoy!

Attachments

• 3.0CS.jpg
    3.0CS.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 198

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of welcome.

That's a good looking car! Silver on black is simply classy. Makes the wheel/tire combination look even more providential.

I don't know any 'restoration' people yet; I'm good enough with mechanics to keep the engine running and make some improvements. I'm a glutton for pain in the electronics department--I am delighted to go through all the wiring and modify as appropriate. I've torn the windows, latches and lock cylinders apart and have made them all work again.

Greetings to Mike, by the way. Are you friends? He's got some nice VW projects going and I would love to see them when he finishes them.

Steve: This site has been invaluable. I had the forum loaded on my phone today as I wandered around the salvage yard, learning about these alternators.

Thanks, all! Can't wait to share the progress.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David, Welcome as well, sounds like you are pretty handy which will serve you well. It is fun working through all the small but troubling issues and getting them fixed. Lots of e9 owners in LA and OC as well so don't hesitate to ask for help if needed.

Chris

Also: add your VIN to the registry and I will delete the listing in the "Seen in Ad" section.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Dave Mike and I old friends... He was going to keep your car...

Yes we are old friends!

For the past 20 years 4 of us go to Monterey for the Vintage Car Races, Pebble Beach Concours etc...

Mike actually went with me to OC to buy my silver 3.0CS and he drove the car back to Malibu for me...

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Old Cars

Chris: Car added to registry. Thanks for the welcoming. I would be thrilled to meet some of the S. Californians at some point. I figure I'll only need a few more weeks of tinkering and I'll have the coupe 1). securable by means of operating doors and windows, 2.) idling correctly and 3). street legal with the addition of seat belts and repair of the stop lights. Then I'll start driving it. Maybe I'll pass another E9 by accident and wave!

Jeff: I hope to do the car proud by Mike. He seemed uneasy parting with it. Let him know it will be taken care of.

By the way, I test-drove a blue 2800CS a few months ago--it was a rusty thing for sale at Dennis Buys Cars in Culver City. I got to the lot about one day after the posting and auction went up, but I ended up being the fifth person the waiting list just to put an offer on it. Do we know what happened to that car? I should have written down its number. All I know is that it was a 1971 and that its original color was not blue - I think it was one of the deep reds. Whoever has it has his work cut out for him.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David, Then also plan on attending the West Coast Summer Concours in Carmel on August 19th 2011. We need more coupes in the corral, they don't have to be show queens, the more the merrier.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys in CA have it so good re: car events. From cars & coffee to PB Concours its unreal!

David, Then also plan on attending the West Coast Summer Concours in Carmel on August 19th 2011. We need more coupes in the corral, they don't have to be show queens, the more the merrier.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really think that some of the east coast events get more participation. Look at Scott Sturdy's The Vintage (Was Vintage at the Vineyards), Lime Rock and others. Maybe more passion because the coupes are tucked away for the winters?