'74 E9 Carpet installation question

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Is there a good thread with photos especially around the sill - back seat floor area. Just got my new carpet set from KHM and they are nice, however my car had no carpet on the back floor, the sill parts were there but I question how the fit goes, around the seat track area. I found some photos but still have questions before I put that "contact cement" on,only to see I'm wrong

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_9598.jpg
HI ROD I THINK I MAY HAVE PHOTOS
YET THE OEM HAS RAISED PORTIONS THAT RUN UP THE SIDES OF ALL MOUNTING AREAS WITH A VINYL TRIM ON THE EDGE
I FING PIC

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
View attachment 64709 HI ROD I THINK I MAY HAVE PHOTOS
YET THE OEM HAS RAISED PORTIONS THAT RUN UP THE SIDES OF ALL MOUNTING AREAS WITH A VINYL TRIM ON THE EDGE
I FING PIC
You might want to find an old, beyond the pale set to use as a pattern. If you have the time. I know two guys who bought ready cut carpet, one for a tii the other for a coupe and they had to make cuts and changes to every piece. I don't know if photos will show you what you need.

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Mine mostly fit ok (good) except for around the brackets for the front seats. Example: door sill behind front seat, This carpet has about an inch of one corner cut off (so we know which one we're talking about) This piece is trimmed on both ends with vinyl (or whatever) and seems to be 2 inches too long. If I could see a photo of a "perfect" carpet job I could see what they did with the extra length. I'm thinking it might go around the corner and be affixed to the support for the front of the back seat

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine mostly fit ok (good) except for around the brackets for the front seats. Example: door sill behind front seat, This carpet has about an inch of one corner cut off (so we know which one we're talking about) This piece is trimmed on both ends with vinyl (or whatever) and seems to be 2 inches too long. If I could see a photo of a "perfect" carpet job I could see what they did with the extra length. I'm thinking it might go around the corner and be affixed to the support for the front of the back seat
I will take a bunch of photos of my carpet installed by my wizard of an upholsterer.

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Wow, just discovered my issue (maybe)! It does appear that the drivers seat runner brackets have been moved back about 1&1/2 or 2 inches! Should not these two (four) seat mounts appear on the same line looking across the car, on my machine the passenger is ahead of the driver by a couple inches, so it looks like I need to cut the carpet where it goes under the seat mount on the driver side. I had it partly glued down when I saw the issue, at first I thought I had the carpet in cockeyed & tried to reset it, only to discover the real problem. Am I right in thinking seat brackets get cut out on occasion and spot-welded back for tall people ~

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The lower seat runner has a bracket on the front and mounts to the vertical part of the platform, has yours been cut off?

Attachments

• 708C3613-4C4E-4804-AC1A-2B83625443CB.jpeg
    708C3613-4C4E-4804-AC1A-2B83625443CB.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 146

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Lets see if I can post two photos? In the first you can see what I think is the old spot weld just ahead of the seat mount. In the second you can see the difference between the two locations~
P5280948.JPG
P5280949.JPG
P5280949.JPG

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a canvas template I made with exact measurements for a 1972- if you think it will help just let me know- pay for shipping to you and back to me- I made the template(s) in case we ever found the correct carpet.

Chris M could tell for sure but I think the 1974 was a 1-piece carpet and different from all earlier models also the rear parcel shelf was carpet and not vinyl I think.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a canvas template I made with exact measurements for a 1972- if you think it will help just let me know- pay for shipping to you and back to me- I made the template(s) in case we ever found the correct carpet.

Chris M could tell for sure but I think the 1974 was a 1-piece carpet and different from all earlier models also the rear parcel shelf was carpet and not vinyl I think.

74' was indeed a one piece carpet from the factory. No reason earlier kits couldn't work though. Also correct on a carpeted rear parcel. Not sure if earlier years had it but 74 does.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Strange that he driver side was cut that far back to move rails rearwards. My rails are the same forward position as the handbrake.

Rod Cole

Reaction score
The carpet set I got is very good, the passenger side all fits perfect. My issue, which isn't going to be difficult to deal with is the fit around the welded in brackets for the driver seat. The question is: Are any other car seen with the seat mounts located like mine? The last photo shows the passenger side mount (with the vinyl trim still on it) a good two inches ahead of the driver side. Just wondering if it was made this way or modified~

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is a better pic, first one is passenger side, the front of the rail is 1” forward of the lateral structure under front of seat. Second pic from above shows handbrake and forward edge of seat rails in line with each other.

3184FA79-2674-4678-9B09-D6217C7DD639.jpeg
E7F73D54-103D-4EF8-B800-C2C5ED8F4C2C.jpeg

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Your driver side was chopped, passenger side is correct, same position as tip of handbrake.
Thank you for this info, I don't have a lot of cars to compare to around here. Kind of figured it had to have been moved but wanted confirmation. Should have the carpet done soon, then to put the dash back. I had the veneer redone by Madera, can't wait to see it finished~