>74 rear window motors

pmansson

Reaction score
I have taken the rear window with regulator and the rest out.
Cleaned off 35 year old stale grease etc.
I notice that there is a small screw, which after some "creep oil" now moves back and forth.
It is on top of the gearbox flat end. I can imagine that it tightens the axle and thereby sets the speed at which the motor operates...???

Can somebody please clarify....
How do I determine where to set it ?? Lid off, run the motor and experiment back and forth ????

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The speed of the motor is not adjustable. IIRC, The screw you have found centers the armature of the motor and prevents it from wobbling around its axis. You want to set this screw so that it does not affect the speed of the armature, which, by the way, runs only at one speed (assuming the battery is fully charged.) About all you can do to fix the slow operation of the window motors is to clean the gears and tracks and relube them.

pmansson

Reaction score
Finally a knowledgeable reply. Thank you. I didn´t really think the speed was adjustable.
OK, so off with the lid, attach the power supply and run the motor. Tighten so that the rolling ball above the gear is not wobbling.

I noticed that the small, outside cogwheel moves in and out from the centre depending on what direction I run the motor. Too much axle play, but nothing to worry about I presume.

And nobody has a suggestion to my question about the gearbox mounting to the front window regulator?? The Title to the question was: Door window installation.

The question being why the 3rd mounting hole (on the regulator) for the gearbox is too small for the collar of the gearbox to seat properly (like the other 2 with 9mm screws).
I´m referring to the mounting point accessible only via a hole in the large cogwheel.
I am about to enlarge the hole by 2mm in order for the gearbox to seat firmly and become parallell to the regulator. I thought it was my fault somewhere along the way, but cannot see why BMW did it this way.....?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry Pmansson...can't help with your mounting problem. On my 74, the motors are attached with three screws, and I didn't notice any problem removing and remounting them, except that you have to remove the whole shebang to get to the motors. Not a fun job for something which should be simple...

pmansson

Reaction score
Hi Bill,
I am referring to the earlier style sardine motors with separate gearbox that have a regulator for this particular setup. With regulator out of the car, the motor can be removed via 4 screws. Then there is the cogwheel (for manual operation) and clutch, onto which the gearbox is attached. The gearbox is secured to the regulator via 3 screws, of which 2 have solid washers. The 3rd screw is a recessed Philips screw which is mounted through a hole in the large cogwheel.
It is this which bothers me, as the hole in the flat part of the regulator is not large enough to take the collar of the gearbox mounting...... 2mm too small.

I am about to enlarge the hole with a drill, but am so surprised that the Germans didn´t do it "my way". Is there a reason for this which I fail to see.

The result of the current setup, is that the gearbox is not 100 secured, is tilted, and causes the cogwheel and clutch to scrape agains the regulator.......

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Did you look at the pictures I posted to your original post? My gearboxes do not seem to be "tilted".

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am about to enlarge the hole with a drill, but am so surprised that the Germans didn´t do it "my way". Is there a reason for this which I fail to see.

One of many reasons why "the Germans" lost the war...