'74 Sunroof Weatherstripping

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've searched this forum but haven't found much in the way of detailed installation instructions. Has anyone successfully replaced their weatherstripping? Thanks.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
sunroof weatherstrip

Hi Len,
I don't know about here, but there was a pretty good "how to" on the BMW2002FAQ.com about this, and I cant imagine they are much different, both being from Golde. Sorry that I don't have a link, and I only remember that it was a project blog, and is in the search/archives. I made a copy a while back that I gave to Greg Lavalle that restored my 2002. My e9's are not sunroof cars anymore, so is hard for me to compare to my 2002. (I still have a new sunroof felt if you need one cheap). If you can't access the thread, maybe someone here that has both cars can. I'm a little challenged from a cyber standpoint,so I dont know how to move stuff, attach, etc. from one to another or I'd fix you up. Sorry. It really is a good article, with quite good pictures. I'll see if Greg still has that copy, and send it to you if you need. Drop me an email if you can't otherwise get some help. Dave V. in NC

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I found the thread and although a Golde roof was used in both models, the installation procedure is different because the coupe seal is mounted to the sliding roof, whereas the '02 seal is mounted to the opening.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
If that's true, then the front seal is incorrectly mounted on my car because its glued to the leading edge of the roof.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the rear seal installed with the roof in the closed position? That seems to be the only way because it gets tucked under the roof as soon as you begin to slide the sunroof open?

jmackro

Reaction score
Is the rear seal installed with the roof in the closed position? That seems to be the only way because it gets tucked under the roof as soon as you begin to slide the sunroof open?

Well, there is another way: the seal could be mounted to the back of the sunroof when it is out of the car. Yea, you have to disassemble the thing to mount the seals properly. I suppose this is why so many cars have them installed improperly.

pmansson

Reaction score
Position of felt seals

All expertise suggests to mount them flush with the roof. That´s the way they were mounted on my car, and they were surely the original ones.

On the thread of replacing them on the red 2002 (with very good information and descriptive pictures) they seem to be mounted slightly below the edge/roof.

I am awaiting the new seals from W&N.
They were out of stock on the rubber squegee, but I will first see in what state mine is.

My sunroof panel is out of the car, and I will now check the drain pipes. Apparently some cars had the rear ones exit behind the rear wheels, and others probably at the rear of the rocker panels, like the drain from the C-pillars. (This is where BMW should have added an inch of tubing to ensure that the water exited BELOW the body panel joints instead of in the middle....)

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
As posted elsewhere this forum and in case you dont have this 2002 install guide.

I think this Golde sunroof guide shows the weatherstripping installation (2002)
better than most, although as said above the seal mounts on the panel not to the opening.

Regardless the pictures here are very helpful to visualize areas one cannot see readily.

DSCF2651.JPG

http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/sunroof.htm

Cheers!

Ran