75 3.0si e3 on BAT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The more I look at this E3, the more I like it. If I didn't already have one, I'd be VERY interested in this one. Claimed to be free of any major rust. Nice interior (new leather, uncracked dash, perfect headliner, good door cards, etc). Engine and transmission upgrade. All the hard to find Si trim is there and in good condition. Shoot, the tool kit is even still there and fairly complete.

Yes, it needs some body work and a repaint. For an E3 that means the new owner needs to be able to do the disassembly, most of the prep for paint, and the reassembly in order to keep the car within market value. It has not been driven much so it will need to be sorted out and "fixits" are going to be found. There are things like the "push to start button" that are already known problems.

The 3.0Si was the top of the BMW line up in 75 (well, there is of course the Li). However, for whatever reason it is the Bavaria that US buyers lust after. A 75 3.0Si is a bargain compared to a similar condition Bavaria (check Hagerty). The US 75 Si has the ugly bumpers compared to a 72 Bavaria (73 if you squint), but that can be fixed during the repaint if it bugs you.

The BaT gallery is going to spend most of their time pointing out the flaws on this car. I think that is a somewhat natural thing to do on any car that is for sale. That will probably go further to keep the hammer price low.

This E3 could be a diamond in the (somewhat) rough, and a bargain for someone that wants an E3 that doesn't have to be a Bavaria.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agreed. Ad states it’s only been driven 1000 miles since the engine swap In 2013. It appears the seller has done little in the way of maintenance. Wonder when the last time brake fluid or coolant was flushed? Other than taking pictures/video nothing was done to prep the car for BAT. Cracked intake boot has ”been like that for 2 years”. It’s a $60 part, takes two minutes to replace it. That said it’s taken some restraint to not place a bid because it’s just the kind of neglected car I’m attracted to.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sitting at $5800 with 1 1/2 hours left. The motor and transmission alone is worth that. I would take a shot at this if I hadn't just bought something (stay tuned)!

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sitting at $5800 with 1 1/2 hours left. The motor and transmission alone is worth that. I would take a shot at this if I hadn't just bought something (stay tuned)!
It’s got a reserve, but anything under $10K would be a great deal.

On the flip side this Reyn Speedshop built e12 is pretty fabulous. Also ending today.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s got a reserve, but anything under $10K would be a great deal.

On the flip side this Reyn Speedshop built e12 is pretty fabulous. Also ending today.

Love that car but I suspect over twice the price, likely 3 times the price. Under 10k for a M30B35, Getrag 256 car with alot of work done by La Jolla independent would be awesome. BTW - I have no relationship to the E3 - just looks interesting.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The more I look at this E3, the more I like it. If I didn't already have one, I'd be VERY interested in this one. Claimed to be free of any major rust. Nice interior (new leather, uncracked dash, perfect headliner, good door cards, etc). Engine and transmission upgrade. All the hard to find Si trim is there and in good condition. Shoot, the tool kit is even still there and fairly complete.

Yes, it needs some body work and a repaint. For an E3 that means the new owner needs to be able to do the disassembly, most of the prep for paint, and the reassembly in order to keep the car within market value. It has not been driven much so it will need to be sorted out and "fixits" are going to be found. There are things like the "push to start button" that are already known problems.

The 3.0Si was the top of the BMW line up in 75 (well, there is of course the Li). However, for whatever reason it is the Bavaria that US buyers lust after. A 75 3.0Si is a bargain compared to a similar condition Bavaria (check Hagerty). The US 75 Si has the ugly bumpers compared to a 72 Bavaria (73 if you squint), but that can be fixed during the repaint if it bugs you.

The BaT gallery is going to spend most of their time pointing out the flaws on this car. I think that is a somewhat natural thing to do on any car that is for sale. That will probably go further to keep the hammer price low.

This E3 could be a diamond in the (somewhat) rough, and a bargain for someone that wants an E3 that doesn't have to be a Bavaria.

Agreed. I desperately want an e3 I can just purchase and enjoy. Not going to happen but if I was in the market I wouldn’t hesitate. Undercarriage looks great.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Oh wow. That is Gavin's car. I've driven in it. Very solid build all around. The only thing I did not like is the close ratio box. We went to the vintage in LA in it and on the freeway it was driving me nuts