'79 6 series brake calipers

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What do you all think of the '79 6 series brake calipers? Are they a valuable upgrade to a '74 e9? What is the value if you were to buy a set?

I may have a source for a full set of front and rears, and am seeking guidance, since I'm so new to the mods on these cars.

THANKS for your input.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary make sure they are for vented disks. i believe all e24's had vented disks but i have seen calipers that were supposedly for e24 that were NOT for vented.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Gary:

I would wonder how long they have been sitting, which may not be good for them as the fluid may accumulate moisture, causing rust.

If they were from a recently running car, then better. Wasn't '79 kinda early in the 6 series production?

Not stated is that your coupe should already have vented discs up front, and likely solid discs in the rear. If you can get vented discs at the rear, there might be some benefit, but what kind of driving to you have to do to realize a benefit? Without a heavy right foot, upgraded motor or track time, I dunno if this is a worthy idea. You might get some bling points...

Wife and I just back from a week on Kauai. It rained frequently but we dodged most of it. Hanakapiai was crowded and really really wet so we rainchecked the waterfall hike and spent the hours skinnydipping in negligible surf. Very nice.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Charlie,

I think you are right about 'long term setting of calipers'. Rebuild would absolutely be necessary!

Glad you enjoyed Kauai, sorry about the shortened hike. I hope the parade of hurricanes that we had in late August early September is a thing of the past!

Mahalo and Aloha,