8-pin vs 6-pin Hazard Switch Wiring

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My E3 was built in 8/1972 so "officially" it takes a 6-pin hazard. I went to look at the wiring because it goes-on every time the blinkers go on (meaning, the interior hazard switch blinks with the blinkers). I took a look and it's an 8-pin.

So, I thought hmm...this is an 8-pin and it's supposed to have a 6-pin. I didn't look closely at the wiring at that point. Got a 6-pin and realized I have more wiring than pins (it does not have a round harness-plug like my '72 2002.). So, then I thought it was just wired wrong.

I've looked and looked for wiring diagrams than show 8 wires or wire-pairs connected to an 8-pin hazard switch. They all show only 6 connections.

I'm missing something, just not sure what it is. A digram I can't find? Takes a 6-pin but you don't connect to all pins?

Side-note, there is a ninth wire connector, but that may go to defrost switch- about to check that out.

I have an inspection in the am, so I'm trying to get it working right before that (of course, now it won't work at all). Worst case, I go back to original state with it flashing when blinkers go on.

Changing a switch should be simple, right? :)

Thanks,

jk

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
72 cars all have eight pins, the Hazard surround should say 72. Don’t mix switches, you can fry your wiring.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do either of these help? One is up to 72 I think and other is 73 and on. First one #69
EBD9FBEB-CD47-4E48-BEF2-6B3713C90891.jpeg

Second one is #64

15C74497-559B-4BD4-903C-B7FEEF435A83.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check this thread for pre -74 CS, #51 on the diagram. Probably the same and easier to read.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris - thanks. The diagrams you posted match the diagrams I have. They all are the same (wire color to pin #) for the Hazard switch, as far as I can tell (whether or not the number on the diagram is the same)

I almost got it working right. Almost. Here is where I am:

• Pin 15 should be a Green and White wire per all the diagrams. I have no green and white wire.
  • I have an extra brown, black/violet, and blue/white. With the black/violet plugged into pin 15, the hazards work and the turn signals work.
  • However, the light on the hazard switch itself no longer works.
  • I'm still finding it odd that I have two extra pins and two extra wires and none of these are shown on any electrical diagram I've seen.
  • "Extra" = unused/unconnected. The pins are 31 (center) and 58d. I do see a "31" nearby on the diagram - on
  • Also, neither the original switch nor the brand new switch I have from Maximillian (happened to have one due to a mis-order for a 2002) stay depressed/off in or out of the car.
Sigh.

Last edited:

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
wonder if you have a bad ground.

If brown is ground, diagrams show no connection to this module for a ground. I do see brown wire going to pin #31 on other units in the diagrams.

Maybe I try it? Switch is bad anyway (won't stay depressed) and I can replace a fuse. Don't see worse happening (famous last words...).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can pry switch housing open gently and bend the arm that travels in its slot so it stays where it should.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can pry switch housing open gently and bend the arm that travels in its slot so it stays where it should.

Tip of the day! Then I'll sell the 36 extra switches I have and retire. I've read lots of posts on Hazard switches here and on 2002faq and I've not read that. You get another gold star, for sure. Thanks.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@teahead - Connecting the brown wire to the #31 post/pin worked. Thanks. Everything works properly.

@HB Chris - Thanks. I was able to make it work by doing what you described. Don't give it much chance of working long, though. Those switches sure are finicky. Seeing inside I now know why everyone complains about them malfunctioning all the time. Just jostling the panel back and forth through this process now has the defrost switch not staying engaged. I fixed that, for now, by removing the fuse. That's for another day.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@teahead - Thanks. Yes, that’s how I fixed the hazard. Just was too late to mess with rear window heater.

Seeing that little fiddly arm makes it obvious why they malfunction.

I’ll fix it, but will I ever use it?It’s garaged and we live in Austin. Guess it just won’t break again!