96 e36 328i Gremlins

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
1996 328i- I just bought this a couple weeks ago for my son. The car has just developed intermittent starting problems whereby the engine will turn but not fire up. Same as what's described in- http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818057 If you have the time to read through.

Anyway, fault codes are- P0430 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2...AND- P0601 "Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error"

When the car won't start, I cant get my OBDII meter to retrieve any faults. I cycle the meter through several attempts and as soon as I can retrieve a code, the car will start. I strongly suspect this is a DME issue. The DME was replaced with a brand new OEM unit a year ago by the PO($1200). I'm thinking in my attempts to get the meter to read, the cycling of the key switch off and on might have something to do with the scenario. I haven't been able to establish that for sure yet.

I have some replacement O2 sensors coming as an attempt to address the catalytic converter issue. Car has 165K on it but runs like it has 20K when it starts.

I don't want to spend $1000+ sending this to a dealer who will indiscriminately change out components chasing this ghost in the machine....Anyone?....Direction?....Thanks!