A/C Blower Switch Rebuild

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey all. Rebuilt my switch yesterday and wanted to add on to Alans great post:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/ac-blower-switch-repair.23382/

Without Alan's post I wouldn't know how to reassemble the switch. This is prob far too long of a post for this switch but thought it would be helpful to someone down the road.

Here's what happened with mine.
1. The switch was not moving well and the threads had been cross/threaded in it's past.
2. I tried to reset the threads, but in doing so the threaded rod came lose ... was already lose but fully came off.
3. The long copper tubes were lose and there was cracks all over the plastic frame.
4. When I opened up the top of the switch all sorts of springs and bearings popped out and went all over my workbench. I was lucky to find all the components.

YWWfthq.jpg

Tap the tubes out or pry out.
Znqxk5G.jpg

While open, clean out the contacts.

Rebuild:

Step 1:
Rebuild the threaded rod. For this I went to the hardware store and bought a house lamp threaded rod for about $.40. I set it in my drill as a makeshift lathe and milled it down a portion to a very thin amount of material. Key is this threaded rod needs to be pressed into the steel cover and not interfere with the ball bearing movement.

TKXrfGu.jpg

(under the cover you can see the ball bearing paths.)
UCDIc2o.jpg

(threaded rod in the drill for machining)
XLoLeIG.jpg

(Top: threaded rod, machined threaded rod, original threaded rod)
wSGO65I.jpg

Tap it in
8NzxdXm.jpg

Opposite side ... hammered into place with large screwdriver and then blended down with file. Clears all bearing paths.

Step 2:
Reassemble the pivot switch thingy. There is a spring with a plug and a copper cover that go into the bottom of the switch. You have to hold the whole thing together and down when you place it back into the switch housing. From there you hold it down, add the two longer springs and ball bearings. Close the top of the case and clamp to keep it all together. Be careful clamping this switch, it cracks very easily.

hFt6Yx7.jpg

SarXhat.jpg

Top image shows the copper piece. Bottom image shows smaller spring and cap on left and two longer/equal length springs and bearings. Insert the small spring and cap into the bottom of the switch and then place the copper piece over it. Hold together and place into switch housing.
rCsnnLv.jpg

Keep a finger on this thing while you place the springs and bearings on top.

Step 3: Place the cover back on and secure w copper tubes or in my case M3x45 screws. These screws are just long enough to get through the housing and accept a nut on the other side.

DKWfoLD.jpg

You may need to drill out the tube paths a bit to accept the M3. Be extremely careful!!! This is plastic and ceramic! The only reason I went this path is my copper tubes couldnt really hold and I wanted to be able to open and close the switch in the future if I had done something wrong in assembly. Essentially making it more fixable.

xveaOe6.jpg

ibVw0kO.jpg

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
This post is in the best tradition of the high quality DIY posts on this board; well done!

PS the picture links have gone bad

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Weird ... I wonder if Apple changed the links. Will try to adjust.

Update: Just updated links and it looks ok. If Apple keeps screwing with it I'll host images somewhere else more reliable.

Last edited:

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fantastic post, thank you. Last three pics didn't show up for me, but I got enough and by cross referencing the pics in Alan's post to fill in the gaps.

Basic question, is there an 'easy' way to get the switch out that doesn't involve major disassembly of the center console?