A/C Console remake in Fibreglass. Do you need a set?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

aguirola

Reaction score
Here is the first half one panel. it was very difficult to unmould.
The hex you see in the photo was an aid to help separate, but will disappear in the final parts.
Next, the other cap. On Monday we will start on that one.
As you may appreciate, it requires a lot of time and effort to make 1 complete mould.

Regards, Alberto

IMG_3660.JPG

aguirola

Reaction score
New side panel Mould being produced.
We had not worked with wood (TP) in a mould, a lot of varnish, then wax to aid in removal.
Now we use bolts to separate.

Regards, Alberto

IMG_3670.JPG

aguirola

Reaction score
Nice,

would it be possible to introduce the staples for upholstery and the nails of the alu trim into the fiberglass ?
Thank you!

Yes, with a power stapler, but I cannot guarantee it. Evidently not an issue to most.
The nails, you can pre-drill with a tiny bit, I ignore the exact size.
The finished parts will be about 6 (+/-) mattglass layers thick. Same stuff as the outside of the mould.

Regards, Alberto

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score

I would appreciate your kind reply, otherwise, cannot produce.

Shown, are the 2 restored sides ready for mould making.

Holes shown, would only be mild indentations, ready for drilling.
Otherwise, they would be a 100% perfect replicas, with the large vent openings included, ready to be upholstered

Regards, Alberto

View attachment 149956
I could use two sets.

aguirola

Reaction score
As of this moment we have requests for 9 sets.

Will do our best to have them ready, but I seriously doubt it, as usual, very time consuming.

Right now, I am going on good faith as a price has not been set, until the first units are ready.
At that point, I will go in order of interest and fulfill the 1st batch by Thanksgiving, the 2nd by early January.

Hope for the best.

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Do you have an approximate price in mind so I can appropriately budget for it?
We are still in the moulding process, please be aware that there are 2 parts to each side,
thus it takes time. So far 1 week to make the 2 large halves, Starting today on the caps (other half)

Fibreglass moulding is not a simple issue.

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
The moulds are all finished. Tomorrow we will start. I don think it will be reasonable to make 10 sets before Thanksgiving.
A few, yes, 10 no

The remaining sets of the vents are ready.

Will post results on the console

Thank you for your patience

Regards, Alberto

Last edited:

aguirola

Reaction score
I arrived last night, and my bag was delayed. When they deliver it, I will post photos.
Only managed to produce 2 sets

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Kind of difficult at the moment...Waiting for AA to bring my bag :)
Really beat up, arrived last nite at 3 am.
Let's talk tomorrow.

aguirola

Reaction score
Hello to all, hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Well, it has been 6 weeks (Oct.12) and since then, for your interest and information, we have done the following:

1. repaired the reasonably decent, original, samples, refinishing the surfaces by sanding and varnishing
as the release agent will not unless 99% smooth, and even then...

2. Pulled the 2 moulds. The samples would fall apart unmmoulding, these original parts had been made with a mix
of Plywood, papier mache, TP, and some glue to give it the XYZ shapes. The originals were somehow made in a mould.
No way, were these parts made one by one as by a carpenter. Had to repair moulds as the parts that stuck, were embedded.

3. Experiments: made one totally solid, and the other with 3 layers of matting. The 1st one was 1 Qt. of resin , ridiculously heavy.
The second one (always 2 parts to a side) with the 3 layers, turned out to be the winner, albeit kind of hefty. The ones looking for lightness,
skip a burger or two for a month. Gluing the 2 halves together, another story, very good results.
Solid one, for the memories.

4. We made 2 sets of consoles (2 cars) SFDon has dibs on them, so forget about the others, really regrets, in theory 8 more sets had been requested.
Well, you waited 40 years for the vents, a few months is nothing :)

5. This is the reality. The parts take as long to make as the bumpers, as the dash vents, as all parts that are vastly complex and difficult to make
as each, has its own nuances, and must be dealt with however the specific part requires.
As no parts are the same, they all require patience, engineering, make do, and inventiveness.

6. Price? $ 305 per side, and yes, you must buy both. There is simmetry, no, please " this side is not like the other side", as, if you hope wishfully thinking
that the other, usually the undamaged one is not slowly melting under that vinyl or is not warped after 50 years of clime and other elements.

7. Realistically, we can make one set per week (5 days), and I will send from Miami in January 30th or so, figure 5 / 6 sets, maybe.

8. Now that we are serious, I will require a $200 deposit per pair (1 car), then balance before shipping ( about $20-25)
Hate to ask for deposits, as all of you, by now know me, or of me, I like the honour sytem and I DO deliver as promissed.
One fellow that I held a spoiler for, after a few months and full of excuses, backed out just before last week . One apple in the barrel?

The deposit please, ppal, friends and family, at: nicole.guirola at gmail dot com (my wife the cashier)

As an aside and just for your amusement, no one, unless in the 3rd world, and with a talented crew will remake them, or the vents, and we are not getting younger.
Someone asked about another set of vents, and unfortunately I do not know when I will deliver. Bert was lucky.
I am really trying as hard as I can..

By the way, someone asked if the side vents can be made in fibreglass, NO. they must be done 3D as SFDon mentions. His are beautifully made.
The slashes are impossible to hand make, unless you are a router virtuoso.
For some mysterious reason, the photos show the sides as wooden coloured, they are not, they are gray, as the vents are black, but show brown. Complain to Apple.

Today, two E9 members saw the end result, and I think they approved. :)

Thank you for kind support, my guys appreciate it.

Regards, Alberto

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Such a crazy difficult item to make.
I remember peeling the vinyl off one and saying Oh Crap!
8 layers, multIple angle changes, soft shapes, hard ring on one side.
I can see having thousands of dollars into making the first set.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw them today and the workmanship is amazing. They weren't that heavy and all the 3 dimensional bends and curves look spot on. Definitely a complicated piece. There's a lot more to them than meets the eye, for sure!