A/C evaporator

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello,
I know much has been discussed about a/c in our Coupes, but I was wondering if those with more knowledge that I, could comment on the following: I have a '72 CSA. No A/C, but equipped with the automatic auxiliary electric fan in front of the radiator. I have noticed that the '76-82 320i, E21, list same part numbers for the evaporator as listed for the E9. I have the parts that install in the engine bay, and will upgrade same as per most of the recent recommendations in part because I want in on the tour to Monterey in 2016. Can anyone confirm that the easier-to-find than an E3 or E9 evaporator housing and mounting plate, will fit an E9?
Thanks for your input.
Mike

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
other parts

i believe i just saw that somewhere maybe fcp euro parts
also if you need the faceplate i think i used a 3.0 face plate and changed the griles

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Yes, I believe the evap assembly is the same

Yes, I believe the a/c evap assembly is the same as in a 320i. The most important, difficult to find piece for the retrofit, though, is the so-called "intermediate piece" that takes the cold a/c air from the evap assembly and directs it out the vents. I believe this piece is unique to the E9, though others have talked about adopting a similar Bavaria piece. See this thread:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12093&highlight=intermediate+piece

--Rob

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great, this is the confirmation I was looking for. Rob, I have really enjoyed your book, found it under my tree on Christmas, as others here have referred to its chapter on A/C. Thanks for the follow up!
And yes, I bet I can fabricate that "intermediate piece", did something similar when I put a new furnace in my vintage airstream.
Thanks gentlemen.
Mike

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had mine checked at a radiator shop, no need for new and that one might not fit. Get a new expansion valve, they installed it too.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, looks like the main copper pipe is different, but one would think that can be modified w/some solder:

3b336ca0-677b-4575-9818-5c5534fb9adc-jpeg.46833

s-l1600.jpg