A/C retrofit

coupedownunder

Reaction score
Have been reading with interest all the interesting and comprehensive articles on A/C ..mine is a non A/C 1974 CSi..I have a 1976 e3 Aircon E3 3.0Ci... most of it I will NOT use .eg compressor, condensor, hoses etc..but will ungrade to sanden , R134a etc. I will use the evaporator"box" as (i believe)they are the same part number for the e9..but the "intermediate piece" is different. My question is..will the original evaporator work/cope with R134a, and can I simply enclose/ blank off the extra outlets in the e3 intermediate piece ?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty sure converting to R134, is a compressor change and a dryer change. For the evap, I hear you should blow compressed air through it to blow out any oil.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
parts

you can use the same compressor just change the oil
to pag and blow out the parts done it a bunch of times
you can even leave the oil it just sits under the other but
its so easy why not?
usually the dryer is only 20.00 so easy

audiomagnate

Reaction score
don't forget the modern parallel flow condensor

OK, I have moved to Atlanta (from Coloroado) and AC is no longer optional. It looks like there have been some significant technical advances since last I checked. My coupe is a 2000CS. Can someone point me in the right direction?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I have moved to Atlanta (from Coloroado) and AC is no longer optional. It looks like there have been some significant technical advances since last I checked. My coupe is a 2000CS. Can someone point me in the right direction?
welcome to ATL. what part of the city are you in?
scott (dunwoody)