A day in the country.. came home with Mold

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trying to sort a few things out on my old 66' Corvair the last few days. I rebuilt two primary carbs after rebuilding them 15 or so years ago and not using the car other than to move it around. They were all clogged up again. It has a very spartan interior with a set of E9 rear seats being the highlight. I currently have only 1 front seat and it is from a VW Rabbit. The horse hair has disintegrated and gone somewhere else and all that is left is the saggy cloth over a metal skeleton. Quite pathetic. I answered an ad on Kijiji that said they had some Corvair parts and the poster responded he had a pair of Black 68' buckets in decent shape for $80.

I tried a set of Subaru STI seats in the car this morning and it just didn't look right, so I figured I would take the drive out to the country a little over an hour and pick these up as interim seats. I can hopefully get the car relicensed and insured if I have seats.

As I pulled into the driveway there was an assemblage of Corvairs at the owner's property. All in beautiful shape. There was an ultra rare Corvair Fitch sprint in light green and as it turned out it was owned by a guy I met in a parking lot in May of 1982 to buy some connecting rods for the motor in my car. (The reason he knew the date was that Gilles Villeneuve died that weekend). We are both kinda old now and we weren't then.
The person who sold me my seats had some pretty radical Corvairs.

A 1964 with a 327 V-8 in the back that he said he drives all the time (Sounded beautiful)

And in his garage was his next project that he is hoping to finish this month

a 1960 4 door Vair with a Chevy 409 C.I reverse turning marine engine running through a 4 speed manual

I think this will have adequate power!!

A good day for a drive in magnificent weather. Always great to talk to Corvair owners. The current president of the Ontario Corvair club was there and I handed him the $25 cash to renew my membership.
The only downside is that on the way home my Subaru Forester (Which I am loving) really reeked of Mildew from those 68 Corvair Buckets. They will fit in fine with the rest of my car's interior. Hopefully a Vinegar treatment works on them.

Last edited: