a different vintage car redo

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay, not a BMW ... but a car from the time-frame of the coupe - the volvo p1800. this is relatively interesting and captures a lot of the spirit of the volvo

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wish they had done it as the hatchback. i had a friend who had a '73 with a tempered glass hatch ... always loved that car.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I test drove a new Volvo P1800 hatchback before deciding on my '72 2002. It was a very nice car,but the tempered glass hatch just didn't seem as safe as the trunk on the '02. And there was no sunroof.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love it, but it's a half a million euros! Yikes.

Yikes, indeed. When I read "carbon-reinforced chasis," I thought it might be aspirational. I also didn't realize Cyan was formerly Polestar. Beautiful car--another car that makes me re-think my color biases.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a P1800S when I was in university. That was an amazing car. Absolutely a joy to drive, a great GT. Nice column mounted stalk to operate the overdrive, oil temperature gauge paired with the water temperature gauge, and easy to work on. And being a university student, I had to work on it, a lot! But it looked so exotic and special, (hey this was the early '70s) that I could often get away with parking in the Professor's parking area, right at the entrance to the Biology building. This was Montreal, in the winter, and that meant a lot!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It took me a sec to understand what I was looking at. I've always liked the original Volvo P1800S. And this re-interpretation looks amazing. Very cool. For me, so many of these new-old cars don't hold a candle to the originals. But this one breaks that mold. I didn't bother looking for a price - it is beyond my budget.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Always admired the shape, I sat inside one but never drove one.
I am surprised that the addition of the "de Normanville" overdrive unit to a 4-speed was never discussed as an alternative to the E9 5-speed conversion.
I guess having water and oil temp gauges paired helps detect when the engine is fried as both fluids combine into one :).
Parking at professor's spots may be easier today, just cover the windshield with outlandish political stickers :). I am joking, again...

I had a P1800S when I was in university. That was an amazing car. Absolutely a joy to drive, a great GT. Nice column mounted stalk to operate the overdrive, oil temperature gauge paired with the water temperature gauge, and easy to work on. And being a university student, I had to work on it, a lot! But it looked so exotic and special, (hey this was the early '70s) that I could often get away with parking in the Professor's parking area, right at the entrance to the Biology building. This was Montreal, in the winter, and that meant a lot!

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
1800s always struck me as the three-way Swedish love child of a Healey, a 911 and a Cobra, weirdly. I mean that in the best way. This build just reinforces that...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Always admired the shape, I sat inside one but never drove one.
I am surprised that the addition of the "de Normanville" overdrive unit to a 4-speed was never discussed as an alternative to the E9 5-speed conversion.
I guess having water and oil temp gauges paired helps detect when the engine is fried as both fluids combine into one :).
Parking at professor's spots may be easier today, just cover the windshield with outlandish political stickers :). I am joking, again...
Good point Arde. That Laycock de Normanville overdrive was very efficient. I have one in my Healey 3000. Had that thing apart some time ago. But cool thing is, it now works! Yes, it is an overlooked option for providing a highway cruising gear. Really helps! Also, the name, "de Normanville" sounds like someone in an episode of "Danger Man" featuring Patrick McGoohan, or better yet, an episode of "The Saint" with, well, you-know-who, Roger Moore! BTW, if I remember correctly, the only sticker affixed to the rear bumper of my P1800S, was "Ski Stowe Mountain" Vermont, that is. Great place ;). Mike

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wish that they would run it through an early "Miata machine"...the one that makes it affordable, profitable, easy to work on, etc...they can have the carbon fibre and paddle shifters and push button starters (like my volvo wagon has...) My rant is now over, keep calm and carry on.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shows how much scope there is for classics, though there isn't much left of the original in this one. A cheaper alternative would be an Alfaholics GTA-R 290.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think they have priced it to match what they expect to sell. no more than 100 in total. shows what it costs to really make an enthusiast car.

I had the same in my 57 100-6 back in 1969, so cool that you could use it in 3rd or 4th.
i loved the overdrive in my brother's 3000 mk 3. my mgb-gt had overdrive but i think it was only in 4th.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fun Facts: the de Normanville OD could be made to work on any gear. There was a lockout switch installed to prevent the unit from engaging in lower gears, and especially, when reverse was selected! And finally, the original 3 speed AMC Pacer was equipped with a Laycock de Normanville Overdrive!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first memory of being in a car was in a Red Volvo P1800. I also remember it being fall and My Dad had a tan leather jacket on. I'd guess 1963

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first memory of being in a car was in a Red Volvo P1800. I also remember it being fall and My Dad had a tan leather jacket on. I'd guess 1963

My father had a two tone green Austin Freeway and wore Y fronts around the house. Eat your heart out Simon Templar.