A few questions on attaching the shiftier platform on a 5 speed conversion

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few questions on attaching the shiftier platform on a 5 speed conversion
Background: putting a 5 speed into my 1972, currently has a manual 4 speed

The parts diagram shows the isolator mount attaching to the bottom of the platform, see drawing

Carl's write up of installing a 5 speed does not list the 2 brackets, 14 and 16 on the diagram
So I assume I don't need those and attach the isolator to the top of the platform?

Does any one have a photo?

Carl suggests using a mass flow sensor mount that is NLA, what else works? I suppose any with the correct length
Could someone tell me the length from flat to flat?

Carl says that the 5 series lower shift lever, 25-11-1-220-213, is required
How is this different from the one in the CS?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A lower shift lever from a 320i is what I used, a perfect semi short throw. I highly recommend my bronze bushing upgrade as well as a UUC dogbone shift rod. Any rubberized mount of similar size will do for the rear shift tower to tunnel connection.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used what Carl provided me for the shift lever and works great. I heard that using the 4-speed E9 setup makes 5th gear hit the edge of the shifter console.
I think SFDon has another solution for that.

If you need a shifter console, I have a spare one made by DQ, in Spanish leather, it is the mother of all consoles...

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve! I will read your link
A lower shift lever from a 320i is what I used, a perfect semi short throw. I highly recommend my bronze bushing upgrade as well as a UUC dogbone shift rod. Any rubberized mount of similar size will do for the rear shift tower to tunnel connection.

Thanks Steve! I will read through your thread

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used what Carl provided me for the shift lever and works great. I heard that using the 4-speed E9 setup makes 5th gear hit the edge of the shifter console.

If you need a shifter console, I have a spare one made by DQ, in Spanish leather, it is the mother of all consoles...
Hi Arde, do you mean the 'leather' boot around the shifter, or a larger piece? I might be interested, send me a photo

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you use the lower half of the 320i lever it will not hit the shift surround unless the transmission install is not done properly. My shifter doesn't come close to hitting in any gear.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
that looks nice? I had a look at mine, it does need help
I think the material around the unit is vinyl, I would think leather would not match as well
But, how much for the one you have?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I tried to cobble something together myself, and I suggest you skip this part. Or you can experience for yourself the fun of having your half-assed solution fail, feeling the platform bounce off the driveshaft while you are going down the road, and having to pull the shifter up in order to get the shift platform into a position to change gears, all while wondering if the pulling process will actually result in a gear change.

Jump straight to the sfdon solution: a 10mm bolt up through the platform, a sway bar rubber bushing between the platform and the body of the car, and two 10mm nuts on top inside the car. Yes, you will have to open up the hole in the body a little bit to do this.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you use the lower half of the 320i lever it will not hit the shift surround unless the transmission install is not done properly. My shifter doesn't come close to hitting in any gear.

Steve, did you have to bend the lever at all or did you use it as is?

John

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As is, and replaced all the innards between the upper and lower halves as well as the upper and lower bushings for the ball part. It’s a little longer than the stock lower lever.

Steve, did you have to bend the lever at all or did you use it as is?

John