A great morning drive

Tyler

Reaction score
Took the CSL for a run up to the Silverstone classic races on Saturday. Early morning on the M1 with no traffic, running at over 4,000 RPM (yep, its a 4-speed) for nearly an hour probably cleaned all the city junk from the engine!

What a great event - real races on a fast track, with light crowds and sunny weather - everything from pre-war single seaters, beautiful 60s GTs, 70's F1s, to the awesome Group C racers of the 80s - there was real competition amongst the drivers, which is great to see given the value and rarity of some of these machines. The public can go right up to all the cars, even into the pits during the break from racing - no barriers, except on the track itself. I was hoping to see some racing Coupes out on the grid, but no luck. There was a nice looking Fjord CSL at the BMW GB club site - anyone on the list?

I've only discovered these sort of events (huge, dedicated classic race and show weekends - Silverstone, Goodwood Festival of Speed, Oldtimers Grand Prix at the Ring, etc) since moving to the UK. I've never known of anything like this in the US, except the Monterey weekend, but that's more show, less go.

Usual traffic on the way back to London wasn't enough to kill my buzz. My ears are still ringing from the F1s.

Malc

Reaction score
Tyler,
Glad you had fun you lucky so and so!
Unfortunately we only have the wonderful roads of the highlands of Scotland up here! Oh and Knockhill of course
One day I'll get down your way for a thrash!
Malc

shanon

Reaction score
If your interested in more go and less show here in the States (West Coast), check out HSR-West and VARA vintage racing clubs.

Those folks can get pretty serious (= front runners are flying :shock: )....and they're fairly relaxed about what you do to your car. They just wanna race, don't really care what tires your running, as long as you drive clean and stay outta trouble. All nice people too.

-shanon