A moving story !

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great story, I just bought my 2nd coupe, 23 years after selling my first, I can certainly relate to the part of forgetting all the maintenance etc. and only remembering the form and beauty - but that's why we own them!

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
Here is my story and I am still crying!

I bought a 1968 1275 Mini Cooper S in 1978 and spent 12 months completing a full restoration, I kept the car for three years but then had to sell to finance the purchase of an E type jag.

One day in 1992! I received a letter from a council office in Hampshire (120 miles away) advising that unless I removed the Mini Cooper S within 10 days it would be carted away for crushing!

I drove down and found the car in a back garden of an empty bungalow hidden amongst the undergrowth. The car had covered very few miles since I had sold it 11 years earlier.

It was now very rusty and needed yet again a full restoration, I had no way of extracating the car, or transport or a workshop so had to walk away...

What a wally for not trying harder to reclaim my former car which would have cost me nothing to re purchase.

This tale still hurts 18 years later!