AC Switches

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After two rounds of switches for the new AC, we are at a bit of a crossroads. I have two switches from CP, one looks to be a new aftermarket and one original. The problem is that neither of them "fit" on the back of the AC plate. Both are two wide to fit within the grooves created by the back of the vents which appear to be a little under 4mm wide at the base. If we invert the switch on the bottom it will fit but then runs into the radio. Clearly I'm missing something. Either I have the wrong face plate, the wrong switches or myself and my mechanic are missing something obvious.

Attachments

• AC_Plate_Rear.JPG
    AC_Plate_Rear.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 123
  • ACPlate_Back.JPG
    ACPlate_Back.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 121
  • ACPlates.JPG
    ACPlates.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Switch1.JPG
    Switch1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Switch2Side.JPG
    Switch2Side.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 130

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One more...

Oh yeah, here's a pic of Bella's dash finally installed with the newly recovered dash. I wish I had taken the gauges out but we'll save that for another day.

Attachments

• Dash.JPG
    Dash.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 124

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, my understanding is that the faceplate on the left is for an E3 and is incorrect. I used the picture of the two just for comparison's sake since I thought that would be the first question someone would ask. It also has a nasty large whole in the middle.

I don't think there were different faceplates over the years, were there?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The fan speed switch looks correct-it goes above the radio, the temp switch looks different, the back should look like this:

AC-thermostat.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you are missing the bushing between the plate and the switch?

Tom P

Reaction score
A/C Thermo Switch

Bwalvoord - if you are looking for the correct A/C thermostat switch with an 18" capillary tube, I have an extra one available - new in package... Just PM me.

If anyone else is interested in one just let me know. Probably not the sort of part with enough demand for a group buy but if so, I'll try to get as many as I can.

I tried hard to make the BMW replacement part work but it's not even close to the original size and layout. I experienced the exact same issue as you.

It was suggested to me by a reputable BMW parts retailer to grind down the metal fins on the back of my console to make the replacement part fit but I just couldn't get myself to do that - frankly speaking, that's just a bad idea. BMW should be selling us the right switch!

Attachments

• 2013-09-03 21.48.42.jpg
    2013-09-03 21.48.42.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just confirmed I have no bushings but the bigger issue is the ring nuts which apparently are different sizes. I'm hoping DQ has the answer for the missing fan speed nut. Has anyone tried using a c-clip or alternate fastener?

Tom, sent you a PM

Last edited: