AC upgrade: anyone heard of DTech?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I read in one of the comments for Paul’s car on BAT some company named Dtech which claims to offer an upgraded modern version of the AC evaporator and heater for the coupe. Has anyone heard of these guys? They are in Dallas Texas.

The photos they post of this upgraded system are just horrible. You really can’t see anything which gives a bad feeling about the quality of their work. (They could also seriously benefit from a basic spellchecker and a grammar improvement software but that’s another issue.)

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
Search for their other/former name: Select Classics. That should give you all the info you need. My opinion? Not with a ten foot pole...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know nothing about this company, and probably shouldn't waste my time writing this post. But a pet peeve of mine is not being able to find our where a company is located. I just looked at every link on their website and can't find an address or even a story about there they come from. I did find a 214 area code which suggests they are in Texas. That is a good story - because with a Texas climate, AC is pretty important. But they didn't share that. Unfortunate.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And I see my clients car pictured on the website. The copyrighted picture.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know nothing about this company, and probably shouldn't waste my time writing this post. But a pet peeve of mine is not being able to find our where a company is located. I just looked at every link on their website and can't find an address or even a story about there they come from. I did find a 214 area code which suggests they are in Texas. That is a good story - because with a Texas climate, AC is pretty important. But they didn't share that. Unfortunate.
Haha. I have the exact same disease. It is only after a LOT of digging (it was pissing me off) that I found the Dallas mention buried in one of their pages. It was part of a text, not as an official address listing.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know nothing about auto A/C systems. But living in South Florida for over 50 years, I know everything about sun, heat and humidity. You can add as many evaporators as needed to get 10-degree air coming out of the center 2 vents in a CS with the fan speed on warp factor 7 and the sun beating through the greenhouse windows and all you will have is a cool right arm and knee. And that's only when the car is going over 20 mph-in the shade-at night-in winter-after a cold front.
Remember, a cool day down here is when we turn off the A/C.....Huper- Optik Auto makes a tint film that rejects heat better than any other brand. Gary Beck gave me the reference. I'm getting a sample next week and will have it installed on all of the windows in my CS if it passes my heat test. To be continued, Drew

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
I know nothing about auto A/C systems. But living in South Florida for over 50 years, I know everything about sun, heat and humidity. You can add as many evaporators as needed to get 10-degree air coming out of the center 2 vents in a CS with the fan speed on warp factor 7 and the sun beating through the greenhouse windows and all you will have is a cool right arm and knee. And that's only when the car is going over 20 mph-in the shade-at night-in winter-after a cold front.
Remember, a cool day down here is when we turn off the A/C.....Huper- Optik Auto makes a tint film that rejects heat better than any other brand. Gary Beck gave me the reference. I'm getting a sample next week and will have it installed on all of the windows in my CS if it passes my heat test. To be continued, Drew
I’ll be looking for your test results. Living in Florida, my expectations are relatively low on my upgraded AC, but I’m hoping for some improvement. If the tint film could improve things, I’m interested.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ll be looking for your test results. Living in Florida, my expectations are relatively low on my upgraded AC, but I’m hoping for some improvement. If the tint film could improve things, I’m interested.
There was a big thread about it a couple of years ago. I thought it was about a 3M film however. But I could be wrong.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Can they apply the film to the complex curves of the front and rear windshields?

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are there any good known alternatives to dtech (besides original setup)?

Not that anyone knows about.

The dtech version uses a Hurricane compact model. May work but will require a bit of fab and most likely, you'll want original ac console pieces anyway

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can they apply the film to the complex curves of the front and rear windshields?
Late getting in here.
Both my front and rear windows were coated with Huber Optic film before all new glass was installed.
It's been fine but I damaged film on left rear window and need to be redone. Should not be hard.
Gary

Buildit

Reaction score
To e9 thread in regards to AC systems.

Our efforts to create a complete integrated AC / heat replacement for classic BMW's has been very successful for our customers. We have produced over 200 unit all have been installed with 100% success.

The e10 (2002) and e21(320i) installs have been the most common but in building several e9's for clients we took the time to engineer a replacement and has worked well for us and for a dozen clients. The only part we do not provide is an AC front face plate but have it in design to reproduce. We also produce special cables to link our cable evap to an orig faceplace (AC or non AC). This is area where using orig cables already linked to controls is easier but sometimes these controls are broken after 50 years.

As for comments get real ! These people have never done business with us. We have build 250 2002's to order for clients all over the world. Sometimes nut and bolt restomods but more common a quality driver that meets customer budgets. It is these quality driver cars to meet a budget that open us up for these potshot unfair comments as they were from day one not meant to be perfect cars but what customer wanted. You cannot compare a 20K car to a 100k nut and bolt restoration albeit even if we are doing a low cost car we make sure that a client could take it to a high end car without going backwards with a quality foundation but maybe not all new trim, high perf engines, wheels tires etc.

Our work with dtechparts has been to productize "kits" (not like Nickle dime part houses) that give a client ability to finish their own car with complete kits. AC kits, stainless trim, bumpers etc. much better then orig, interior systems, engine upgrades, suspension upgrades. Concept is you can benefit from our efforts to bring a classic BMW back to life a reasonable, defined cost but do yourself or source well engineered kits so your mechanic can mechanic not chase parts. We have had dozens of BMW shops all over US, Europe, Asia install our AC kits with 100% success

We have rebuilt several e9's and have two in production with this AC kit as well as our stainless bumper replacements and interior. Happy to share what we know and don't know. Our approach on this AC system just seems to be much more pragmatic then trying to restore and old e9 heat and air box. Unit uses all modern tech easy to source replacement parts, air flow much better and fits into existing drains holes, behind dash, controls and does not require cutting of e9 except maybe for AC lines if a non AC car.

Yes, we are in Dallas TX and happy to take your calls or email and help you figure out what works 214 352 0868 ! Our address is 11447 Reeder Road, Dallas TX where we have 6000 foot facility with parts, build cars, completed classic BMW's and staff operating 5 to 6 days a week.

xjan99

Reaction score
To e9 thread in regards to AC systems.

Our efforts to create a complete integrated AC / heat replacement for classic BMW's has been very successful for our customers. We have produced over 200 unit all have been installed with 100% success.

The e10 (2002) and e21(320i) installs have been the most common but in building several e9's for clients we took the time to engineer a replacement and has worked well for us and for a dozen clients. The only part we do not provide is an AC front face plate but have it in design to reproduce. We also produce special cables to link our cable evap to an orig faceplace (AC or non AC). This is area where using orig cables already linked to controls is easier but sometimes these controls are broken after 50 years.

As for comments get real ! These people have never done business with us. We have build 250 2002's to order for clients all over the world. Sometimes nut and bolt restomods but more common a quality driver that meets customer budgets. It is these quality driver cars to meet a budget that open us up for these potshot unfair comments as they were from day one not meant to be perfect cars but what customer wanted. You cannot compare a 20K car to a 100k nut and bolt restoration albeit even if we are doing a low cost car we make sure that a client could take it to a high end car without going backwards with a quality foundation but maybe not all new trim, high perf engines, wheels tires etc.

Our work with dtechparts has been to productize "kits" (not like Nickle dime part houses) that give a client ability to finish their own car with complete kits. AC kits, stainless trim, bumpers etc. much better then orig, interior systems, engine upgrades, suspension upgrades. Concept is you can benefit from our efforts to bring a classic BMW back to life a reasonable, defined cost but do yourself or source well engineered kits so your mechanic can mechanic not chase parts. We have had dozens of BMW shops all over US, Europe, Asia install our AC kits with 100% success

We have rebuilt several e9's and have two in production with this AC kit as well as our stainless bumper replacements and interior. Happy to share what we know and don't know. Our approach on this AC system just seems to be much more pragmatic then trying to restore and old e9 heat and air box. Unit uses all modern tech easy to source replacement parts, air flow much better and fits into existing drains holes, behind dash, controls and does not require cutting of e9 except maybe for AC lines if a non AC car.

Yes, we are in Dallas TX and happy to take your calls or email and help you figure out what works 214 352 0868 ! Our address is 11447 Reeder Road, Dallas TX where we have 6000 foot facility with parts, build cars, completed classic BMW's and staff operating 5 to 6 days a week.
Any real photos of your E9 kit with install instructions etc? I’d be interested in buying, but your website has zero info…