Access hole for rear bumper side bolt?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am replacing my bumpers and find that on the driver side the bolt that attaches to the side of the rear bumper is very difficult to access. The mounting bracket for the tire changer is in the way and it is very difficult to get that bolt to start threading onto the nut welded to the bumper.

Is there a trick to help make that happen in an easy way? There is no access hole that I can find and my hands are getting pretty banged up try to reach that darn thing.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Bo

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have to wonder how the factory did it. Takes an infinite amount of patience or a cooperative wife and/or girlfriend (who's not concerned about her nails) to help. Try a few beers if neither is available. Good luck.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I haven't reinstalled mine yet, but I did away with the bolts. I bought threaded studs that I plan to install into the nuts in the bumper.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think reversing the process, i.e. Welding the bolt part onto the bumper so you only have the nut to fasten in that tiny space sounds like a great idea. Is there a downside to that? It seems like a much easier way to do it.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
something that might be of help...

A trick that usually helps to locate the bolt is to grind the first few threads off, thus reducing the diameter of the tip of the bolt.

I don't know if there is enough avaliable space 'behind' the nut that it threads into, as you ideally use a longer bolt for this, as the ground section will stick out behind the nut.
If there is little space, already a tapered or pointy end on the tip of your bolt will help.

If you go cutting bolts, choose a stainless bolt, or dip it in paint before installing.

Some times the thread damages when grinding a bolt, so I usually screw one of these thread cutting plates on it, and then do the cutting or grinding. After grinding, you twist it off, and the thread is fixed.

To put the bolt on the bumper is also a good idea, however id glue it in, not weld it. The glue is strong enough, doesn't rust and is reversible if you heat it in your kitchen oven.
Erik

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used the bolts. It's an ackward spot. If I remember you put the bolt in the hole through fender and then line the bolt with the bumper. Might be easiest with two people. Then patients nimble fingers.