Acorn Nuts

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have questions about the correct nut for the valve cover of our coupes

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSC_0071.jpg

I see nickel/chrome 6mm acorn nuts at the Ultimate Garge and they say "this is the correct small acorn nut for 1600/2002, 320i, Bavaria/CS" "used for decorative trim applications to secure valve covers timing covers etc" They are $1.00 each unless you buy 100 then they are $0.75 each. The valve cover has 8 nuts.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?cPath=34_258_418&products_id=1269

1. Is this correct for our cars?
2. If they are correct, would 9 of you guys want to go in with me for a group purchase?
3. Do they need to be torqued? If so, to what specification

Last edited:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes - definitely torque the nuts and one bolt equally, so there is less of a chance of oil leaking. I believe they are 9-11 Nm. I used SS acorn nuts on mine. They look good although technically not original.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't be certain, but don't believe the chromed acorn nuts were fitted from BMW to any of the E9 coupes. These nuts were factory fitted on my 88 M6 valve cover and a few other engine compartment components though. The use of chromed acorn nuts do add a touch of class to the engine bay.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
oh those nuts !

yes, you have to install them according to a sequence from inside-out the valve cover similar to the head bolts sequence, but in this case is 10Nm torque

the original ones, ok, that depends on the production date of the car, my 1971 came with aluminium accorn nuts, they acted as fuses when you exceed the length of the bolt the espherical part is a fuse that pops out the assembly

i substituted them by accorn nuts bought in bmw dealer, these ones are made of steel and each one has an embeded but free rotating washer, they are superb for the purpose, but i recall paying more than two euro per each one