Adventures with Repro 38's

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I put a pair of Chinese faux Webers on my Bav last October and left immediately for a 6000 mile road trip to Mexico. Aside from a couple of problems with the vacuum choke pull-off, they worked pretty well, especially out on the road. They were a little spotty at idle and low rpm, and the electric chokes were too quick.

I put up with it until I got tired of it, then I started looking at them. I pulled the tops off and reset the float levels ( which were off ). The step-up cam for the fast idle was not aligned properly so I adjusted the linkage. I noticed that the boosters were loose in their mounts, so I shimmed the far side so they would fit snugly in the slot. The accelerator pump squirters were leaking so a complete shot was not being propelled down the bores, so I fixed that. I changed the idle jets from a 45 to a 50 to get my adjustment into a proper range. The low end smoothness now approaches that which I had with the 32/36's.

To slow the activation of the electric chokes I bought a couple of thermo switches off Ebay for a buck apiece, one operates at 30C and the other at 40C. I put the 30C switch snugly against the manifold heater hose and linked it to the operation of the chokes. They are now unheated until that hose reaches 30C ( 86F ) and the cold engine operation is much improved.

Now on to the Q-jet on the Euro manifold...

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Where do you get Chinese faux Webers? (OK, I see that ebay has a "Weber 38" for $120, while Carbs Unlimited sells 38/38's for $265 t0 $334 depending on water/electric/manual choke - I assume the thing on ebay is the Chinese faux.)

It sounds like the jets are interchangeable with real Webers. Yes? Or do you need to buy Chinese faux jets?

Irrespective of the source of your 38/38's, why did you replace the 32/36's?

Last edited:

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Where do you get Chinese faux Webers? (OK, I see that ebay has a "Weber 38" for $120, while Carbs Unlimited sells 38/38's for $265 t0 $334 depending on water/electric/manual choke - I assume the thing on ebay is the Chinese faux.)

It sounds like the jets are interchangeable with real Webers. Yes? Or do you need to buy Chinese faux jets?

Irrespective of the source of your 38/38's, why did you replace the 32/36's?

Ebay Webers - they don't have the Weber logo on them but they use regular Weber jets and stuff. They come jetted to the same factory setting as a real Weber.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Arrival-Univ...rel-for-FIAT-RENAULT-Ford-VW-4cyl/28015481771 - $90.22 w/free shipping.

I changed them out just to see what would happen. Just because I can, same reason I'm working on a Q-jet setup. The 32/36's are resting comfortably on a shelf along with the other carbs, the Zeniths, the other Webers, the Carters, the Rochesters, the Holleys, and last - the Solex.