Advise re replacing boot rubber.

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
im about to replace the boot rubber in my car. The old one is glue in. I’m not sure what type of glue.
Has anybody got some advice on how to remove the old rubber please.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, 08008, 5 fl oz

There is a Wurth product those across the pond also like but this stuff has served me well.

HS-005001_M.jpg

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s the glue I have. I’ve now removed most of the old rubber. I’m still not sure what to use to remove the remnants of the glue. A friend suggested Prepsol.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s the glue I have. I’ve now removed most of the old rubber. I’m still not sure what to use to remove the remnants of the glue. A friend suggested Prepsol.

in principle you will not see any remnants as the new rubber will cover them, but i would be very cautious on removing old glue with modern solvents as they might damage the paint

i would try to use the mildest way first, warm water, alcohol, heat gun (not too hot),...

BTW it is 10 years since i install my rubber using no glue, and it is still in place and perfect fit,...

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very good advice. Alchohol is very sound advice rather than solvent that I eas contemplating. I hope you can buy this at a chemist? I can see it may fit without glue but not sure what will hold it in place but I will try it first anyway. Can I ask where you sourced yours from?

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's my approach, f.w.i.w.
1) remove the old seal
2) using soap and water wash the gutter and flange/sheetmetal the seal fits onto
3) using clean water be sure the gutter and flange are rinsed and clean, then dry them
4) wipe flange with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to denature it and prep the surface. Yes, that is all the prep I use.
5) brush Elmer's Craft Bond rubber cement (or another brand like 3M) onto both flat sides of the flange and let dry (don't need to use a lot)
6) brush the rubber cement into the groove of the seal, don't need a lot, and install it while the cement is still wet. Be sure the seal is pressed down all the way so the outside bottom edge forms a radius in the gutter ( to keep it dry under there and guide water down the gutter and out over the taillights.)
-30-

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks dp. I'm now at the point of fitting the new rubber. The new rubber is from Rodgertii and its German. If you can see the first image, it shows a fold. Does anyone know if it goes to the top or bottom. I'm trying to work out which way the seal goes. I thought I had it worked out. Now not so sure.
I've fitted it loosely and it is hard to keep in place around the corners so my idea is to glue it in sections. I have 3M Yellow Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive which I bought from Steele Rubber Products.
My idea is to do the back(near the rear glass first, then the sides, then the back. I appreciate the advice I've received so far. The old glue was a bugger to get of but I've got most of it of now. I'll do a bit more before I finish and touch up some paint I've lost. I'm hoping the boot will close once I've finished.
IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That small slot fits over the edge of the opening, when installed the rubber stands up and faces outwards to trap any water.

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Obviously I'm not very smart. Have to say Rogerstii replied with the same answer. I aslo asked should the join go to the glass or back side. I think my old rubber didn't have that lip. It seems to have a groove. Can you suggest should I start fitting from the rear glass side? Appreciate you advice.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s a groove or a small lip, same thing. I start at the glass side and only use adhesive every four or five inches, it doesn’t need to cover everything. Just lay it out so the gasket is equal on all sides, I used blue painters tape to keep it in place. And the 3m stuff says to apply it to each surface and wait three or four minutes, apply a little more and then bond I believe. Works much better that way. And it let it set after doing the glass side before going around the corners to the sides.