deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
is this claim true ?

in their description of a 2,5cs, there is this comment:

"

Unrestored Gem​

Following the 1973 Oil crisis BMW made 2.5 liter version of the Coupe between 1974 and 1976 - only 874 built. As BMW aficionados may know: the smaller engines actually run nicer, are more smooth and rev happy. This BMW 2.5 CS was sold via BMW Belgium NV SA in Kontich, Belgium and first registered on the 15th of May 1975. Delivered in timeless and classic 085 Chamonix over Marine blue velours. In 2019 we have discovered this car in the Netherlands, got it to Oldenzaal and it found a new home with a friend and client in Texas. Now, five years later the car is back available in Oldenzaal.

The BMW 2.5 CS is to be recognized by not having rear bumper overriders, the small toolset and no upholstery in the inside of the trunk. At the time we were very proud to have found such an original and non-restored E9. Now we're proud to offer it once again. A non-restored E9 is pretty much unobtainium - a 49.000 km, genuinely nice E9 is even better. The car started life in Belgium and found it's way into the Netherlands later on. The car currently has a clean Texas Title. The body of the car is exceptionally straight and doesnt show any signs of previous work. It was repainted years ago to a very high standard. The trim is very very beautiful as one can expect with 49.000 kilometers. The chrome around the windows is still shiny, the beltline trim is as new and so are the bumpers, grilles and front and rear lights. The car shows perfect panelgaps and very sharp bodylines.

The engine-bay of this Coupe looks beautiful and correct. It houses the matching numbers 2.5 Liter Inline six which runs excellent. It features original and non-repaired inner fenders with their factory mats. We’ve set up the carburators, set up the ignition and it (cold)starts, idles and runs excellent. The engine received a major-service from us. It really sounds like a low-mileage M30 - very smooth, turbine-like and silent. The 4-speed gearbox feels equally good and the differential is silent. The car has been upgraded with Bilstein shocks in the front and new shocks in the rear. The brakes were upgraded to 3.0 Liter ones with new ventilated rotors and pads. The car has a stainless steel exhaust system. The car sits on a set of 7x14" Alpina-style wheels with new tyres.

The interior is very original and non-restored. The seats show their original marine blue velours and sit excellent. Notice the chrome on the hinges and near the runners - excellent condition. Very straight doorpanels, original wood in great condition. A deep shine and reflection in the still trim and clean doorjambs. The carpet is clean and shows a new set of quality floormats. The headliner is crisp and white. The owner has upgraded this car with factory A/C. A E9 A/C center console was sourced and installed. It features a new Sanden compressor in a new custom mount, a new condensor and new Mishimoto fan. The system works perfectly, blows cold and takes less power from the engine.

The trunk of the car is completely original. Original grey panels, complete set of tools and jack, tool and spare present. The car drives beautiful and is very easy to drive. The engine runs excellent and sounds great. The 4-speed shifts easily, it corners great and brakes straight.
"

i might not be a bmw aficionado, because it is the first time i have heard that, so i am asking is it true that smaller engines actually run nicer, are more smooth and rev happy. ?:

here is the car advert:

1716410507008.png

Christoph

Reaction score
smaller engines actually run nicer, are more smooth and rev happy
People say so, at least most veterans at the E3-Club. @day66 & @rsporsche are both right in my opinion. All M30 for E3/E9 have a CR 9:1. Exceptions are 3.0 Si ECE D-Jetronic (9.5:1) and 3.0 Si L-Jetronic USA 76 49 States (8.1:1), as far as I know. The 2.5 litre has to move smaller pistons a shorter way than, say, a 3 litre. A 2500/2.5 CS sings in higher notes than a 3.0 S/CS/Bavaria. It can even make you think the whole car is lighter. So some of it might be imagination. On the other hand, a sound 2500 will happily rev up to 6600/min or more, a 3.3 L with the ultra long stroke will never in life get there. Lots of the few 3.3 L died early because drivers tried to rev them like the 3.0 S/Si they'd had before.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
M30B25V, 2,494 cc (152.2 cu in), 110 kW (150 PS; 148 bhp) at 6,000 rpm, 211 N⋅m (156 lb⋅ft) at 3,700 rpm,

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
that is only true if the smaller engine has high compression. the 2.8L with 9:1 wound up quicker than the 3.0L with 8:1. i don't know much about the 2.5L to be able to comment ... sounds a lot like hype because that is what they have to sell.

i see the point
wise to highlight the beauty of your property when you want to sell

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is not a smart ass post it is for my education. If you repaint a car, in original color, is it still un restored?

the language is flexible, ha, ha,..
but you can not clean parts to sell them as NOS...
i don´t see it either

I would say not. Unrestored, to me, means as its left the factory, with only normal wear and tear maintenance done; oil, filters, brakes.
But new paint? Not in my book.

your book is good for me too

Breiti

Reaction score
For me , unrestored: repaint is possible.
Fresh paint doesn't correlate with the word restoring.

Breiti