Air filter housing repaint

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The air filter "can" in my CS is worn, scratched and in some spots rusted. Where the clamps have rubbed over the years. I want to repaint and have the right color thanks to E9.com input.
Any tips on removing the old paint? I tried a wire wheel and gets some of it off...

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ideally I would sand blast it but if you haven't got access to one just get some paint remover and let that do the job. Then wire brush any rust and away you go.

johnrob

Reaction score
Take your air filter housing to a shop that does bead blasting, don't mcuk about with paint remover (doesn't remove rust) or wire wheeling it (potential to ruin the part). Normally you can rent a small bead blasting enclosure by the hour (or less) and do it yourself. Very easy to do - just make sure you use glass bead it will strip the paint and rust without damaging the metal. Once the beading is done, prime and paint ASAP to prevent rust from coming back. I did my air filter housing, and it turned out great. I painted mine a non original cracked black.
John

61porsche

Reaction score
Air cleaner Paint

Steve,

It's a grey. More darker than light. Battleship gray is the best way to describe it. I also think 60% gloss and very smooth. The coupe in the BMW Museum ( Pictures are on the forum) is what I tried to do.

That's what I did after my research. Prevous owner painted black.

Hope that helps.:)

61Porsche

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And it has a touch of blue/green in it. If it's in decent shape an auto paint supply can color match it and put it in a spray can. Out here you have to pay for a minimum of three cans or about $100. I tried it myself and wasn't happy with the results, so I bought one of Peter's which is as close as you can get to original.

jmackro

Reaction score
Powder coat, would it be wrong ?

Well, I had mine powder coated about a month ago, so my reply would be "NO!". The powder coater had many many colors to chose from - I matched it to one of his samples, using an unfaded spot inside the cleaner. Of course, I removed the clamps and that thermostat thingy before bringing it in.

The results look a lot better (see photo below). However, the color I chose lacks that touch of green that HB Chris mentioned. The correct color is sort of complex - tough to match.

Attachments

• CS air cleaner 001.jpg
    CS air cleaner 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just finished repainting mine; will post pics tonight. Sent the original cover to PaintScratch.com for an exact match...

Tundra

Reaction score
Example

Here is an example. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• SNC13012.jpg
    SNC13012.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 174
  • SNC13013.jpg
    SNC13013.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 169

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for the poor photo quality, and no before and after, but a vast improvement, and the color is spot on. Just waiting for the JAM Engineering adapter plates...

Attachments

• Air Cleaner 2.jpg
    Air Cleaner 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Air Cleaner 1.jpg
    Air Cleaner 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 181

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am familiar with what it is supposed to look like, I was wondering if anyone knew of a manufacturer's paint code for it. Those repaints/powder coats you guys did look nice.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,

I contacted BMW Archives a few years ago; according to the rep that responded to my eMail, they tried to locate a paint code on the drawings but could not find one...