Alpina 16" alloys diferences.

radosc

Reaction score
Well, we all know 16" alpinas are one of the most beautiful alloy wheels on our E9. From Alpinas documentation I know they produced 16" from 1974. I also know that 14" for CSLs had only studs holes but later on, had 5 additional holes between stud holes.

Well my friend bought 16" alpinas dated 72 and similar to 14" csl wheels only stud holes are ther along with alpina logo and alloys information.

Does anyone know something about these early wheels? Used for sports? Special order? Prototype? CSL option?

Thanks

radosc

Reaction score
Thanks, but that does not really answer my question. I need to know if anyone ever seen 16" pre 74 alpina wheels on any car?

eastsideM3

Reaction score
How do you know they produced 16" wheels in 74? I dont really think they started producing 16's until the 5 series. I dont recall seeing them in my early Alpina catalog. I do however remember seeing them in 78-79 when the production cars came out, E24, E28, E21.

radosc

Reaction score
Well, you are right, these are 14". So it becomes more blurry where did these 16" alpinas from 72 came from...

eastsideM3

Reaction score
Never seen alpina wheels with the year stamped into it. Maybe it's a casting number that is a coincidence. I'm quite sure they did not offer them until closer to 78. I am however aware of some special wheels that alpina had produced for their early test cars that were different from the typical alpina wheels. The ex Carey iida csl had a set of 15" wheels that were unique. I've also seen some e21 cars with wheels that were different and cool looking.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score

Did you guys catch the gorgeous rims? Looks like a homage to the original design but in a 3-piece 18" design. Most likely a single mounting nut racing rims, but I really like how they incorporated the original black hub cap look. Personally, I don't really like any of the wheel offerings from Alpina of recent years, in particular, the ugly 5 spoke "bear claw" rims.