ALPINA 3-spoke steering wheel

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Can you educate me about this wheel, what makes it Alpina, and not just an old momo?

I love these old wheels, just don't know much about Alpina history.

Thanks

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
350mm Momo Prototipos were never used on E9 coupes or CSL's of any kind. Believe Alpina labeled this wheel as an Alpina for the early racing 1600's and/or 2002's. A similar looking black anodized 380mm wheel with 3 drilled holes on each spokes were used on the early 3.0 CSL's. Not sure of the manufacture for this wheel, although it may have been Momo. The later CSL's were equipped with the sporty and elegant 380mm Petri drilled wheels and were available as an option for the standard coupes.

New Prototipos can still be bought for about $250 including the appropriate hub.

BTW, 350mm steering wheels are way too small for coupe applications.

pereztroika

Reaction score
This is the one used in the early CSL's

csl_wheel_question.jpg

CSL-gelb_05.jpg

cheers, Jose

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
The second foto in the e-Bay listing (of the back of the wheel) CLEARLY shows "MOMO"

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
Not bowled steering wheel from a Alpina CSL racecar. Only used for racing purposes in early CSL and 02 racecars. More racing stuff in my other auctions.

Best regards

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
The photos in the auction are of (at least) two different wheels. In the cockpit foto, the leatherwrap on the two top spokes goes up to the holes, there are two fotos of a loose wheel which does not have the leather wrap going up to the spoke holes. Which wheel is for sale? And whats with the KF slidethrottle injection shown in foto three? Inexpensive advertising? Braggadacio? -shaking head-

eastsideM3

Reaction score
Looks like the right wheel to me, although there should be an Alpina engraved logo at the base of the T. Maybe you could take a picture of that to confirm as Im sure many companies used or copied the same wheel. The early Alpina cars had a BMW horn button not an Alpina one.

hplug

Reaction score
Looks similar

I have an early Momo Alpina wheel that I was told came off an early 1800ti that is 350 mm although mine has a wood ring. It also has a period correct BMW horn button,
H

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
Momo csl steering wheel

The photo shows a 3 spoke steering wheel with 2 drill holes per spoke. I'm a little confused, were there meant to be 2 or 3 drilled holes per spoke on the original CSL momo steering wheel.
Also, dies anyone know what this momo steering wheel was named? Eg prototipo

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
3 spokes- 2 holes per spoke is correct... don't know about the naming convention.

shanon

Reaction score

Wheel spokes have 3 holes each,upper spokes get a wrap/hole covered for extra comfort at 10 and 2. Here's a pic of mine wheel when received, shows wrap wear/patina from original wrap.

HTH

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
aha...

Never realized there were more holes under there- mine has never been unwrapped.

Where can you get them rewrapped properly?

Thanks- Richard

Attachments

• cslwheel.jpg
    cslwheel.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 204

pp

Reaction score
not the same

dear richard your st wheel is not the same ! your st wheel was clearly an option for csl , the other ones ( plate ) are ''normal'' alpina 3 spokes .