Alpina alloys, tell me what I have bought

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have Alpina caps from a guy in germany. Cant find him on ebay at present. Not the plastic ones, the metal ones that mount from the inside. BMW still sells the metal ones with roundel logo. I'm not a fan of the black plastic ones. Try Longstone, i got my Cinturatos from them.

Last edited:

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wheels came back from refurb last week. This took a lot longer than expected as the amount of work required was "significant". Originally I'd hoped to have wheels fitted for Gaydon!! I'm very fortunate to have such a perfectionist restoring my wheels; "never again" he told me :oops:

Unfortunately the embossed lettering in the hub has blurred under the paint, but other than that I'm very pleased. I have a set of Pirelli Cinturatos to fit, and hub caps from W&N, so almost there. Likely I'm going to wait until Spring to fit, as the car is about to go into hibernation, and the 'box is coming off for rebuild this winter

Attachments

• IMG_2935.JPG
    IMG_2935.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2934.JPG
    IMG_2934.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 148

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wheels came back from refurb last week. This took a lot longer than expected as the amount of work required was "significant". Originally I'd hoped to have wheels fitted for Gaydon!! I'm very fortunate to have such a perfectionist restoring my wheels; "never again" he told me :oops:

Unfortunately the embossed lettering in the hub has blurred under the paint, but other than that I'm very pleased. I have a set of Pirelli Cinturatos to fit, and hub caps from W&N, so almost there. Likely I'm going to wait until Spring to fit, as the car is about to go into hibernation, and the 'box is coming off for rebuild this winter

Wow they look fantastic.
Amazing all the pitting seems totally eliminated. Do you know what filler he used or how he removed all the previous pitting?

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Mal
Not entirely sure. The pitting was deep, and I think they've mainly been sanded to remove this, which has the added bonus of reducing unsprung weight. :D

I don't know if a filler was used, but I assume several coats of primer, to give the finish

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Beautiful. Wise to keep them safe a bit longer. I'd battle the impulse to mount them, but I'm also sufficiently self-aware to know I'm a klutz who needs to keep them out of harm's way until they will turn in anger.

dbower

Reaction score
For what it may be worth, Scott Hughes and I were recently discussing the original Alpinas on his Polaris CSL -- which have a rough surface that I would consider "significant pitting." Scott says they have never been refinished. It came up because some concours judge had dinged him for the pitted condition of the wheels, when in fact (according to Scott), that was the original finish. Seems like it would be helpful to examine a NOS Alpina from the era. I know that the 13-inch 5-spoke FPS alloy wheels available today from BMW for 2002's are much smoother than the originals were.

Don

Gerrit

Reaction score
Yes, that is correct, the original CSL Alpina rims surface was nowhere near as smooth as the wheels of the later years. The production injection molds may have been a carry over from a sand mold prototype. BMW also did its own testing on those wheels in 1973 and had found that some of them presented casting anomalies in the material and recommended corrections. The Mahle wheels, also 7x14 came better through the test but were for design reasons also subsequently modified.