Alpina fuel pump and plumbing

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone know much about the fuel pumps that were used to feed the triple webers on Alpina's? Where was it mounted, was a specific pressure regulator installed in line? When I bought my Coupe it had a Facet fuel pump as I recall that stranded me on a Super busy highway as night fell...in the rain on it's dash across the border in Oakville, Ontario. (That felt like a brush with death stuck there) My fuel pump was mounted on the firewall near the brake booster. After tapping on the pump, the car would run for a half hour or so. Replaced that with a Carter that I am currently using to drain gas out of motor bikes in the fall. I had that in the trunk briefly and am not sold on the way the terminals attach to it. Be nice to have the fuel system setup like Alpina originally specified. Might anyone have shots of the fuel line plumbing and hose material and clamps that they used? Be nice if mine looked similar when done. One regret I have is trying to restore the finish on the cast Alpina plenum. It had what I presume is a paint or powder type crinkle finish that was very mottled, similar to our steering columns. I stripped mine and used a crinkle finish on it that is just not right. (Should have just touched up and preserved the original finish.) I'm assuming I will get it profesionally powder coated or if that style of paint is around, I have yet to see it.
Tia.

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would also like to know. @eastsideM3, where and what type of fuel pump did Alpina mount on your coupe when they converted it from FI to triple carbs?

stphers

Reaction score
Hi Bob I used a powder coat for the lower steering column cover on a 2002ti that I am restoring and it came out pretty good with that same mottling effect Also did a 3.0CS valve cover but not as heavy coat. It is a powder that they use for doing stair treads I can get the info for it when I get to the shop later today

Thanks, Rick

Attachments

• DSCN5265.JPG
    DSCN5265.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN5266.JPG
    DSCN5266.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN5267.JPG
    DSCN5267.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 63
  • 3,0 CS valve cover 1.jpg
    3,0 CS valve cover 1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 3,0 CS valve cover 2.jpg
    3,0 CS valve cover 2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 3,0 CS valve cover 3.jpg
    3,0 CS valve cover 3.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 70

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bob I used a powder coat for the lower steering column cover on a 2002ti that I am restoring and it came out pretty good with that same mottling effect Also did a 3.0CS valve cover but not as heavy coat. It is a powder that they use for doing stair treads I can get the info for it when I get to the shop later today

Thanks, Rick
Those look Great Rick. On the valve cover, was a finish used over the polished aluminum? The crinkle powder coat looks very close to what I remembered on my Plenum when I got it. My airbox still has the original finish and is in very good condition and has an interesting finish. I'll post a close up when I get home tomorrow. On experimenting with finishes on a spare steering column, I used spray on bed liner and painted it in Black semi. Showed promise. My steering column in the car is kinda chewed up and will need attention. Thanks for the photos.

Mods...I meant to post this in general discussions and put it here by mistake.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is the stock powder coat (I'm guessing) on my airbox cover. I quite like this look if anyone has an idea what product it is?

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpeg
    IMG_1847.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 59

stphers

Reaction score
Interesting It does look a little like a hammered finish but somewhat "mottled " I also have another [owder coat that looks a bit like rough sandpaper it is called " Hot Rod Black " it is pretty cool, here is a picture of an early 320i air plenum and throttle body that I did Will have to look around to see if there is a "hammered "finish in powder coat I have a few called veins that look kinda cool but not in black I could try doing something in the silver vein and then coat it with a flat black next time that I am doing some PC'ing I will give it a try

Thanks, Rick

Attachments

• DSCN2820.JPG
    DSCN2820.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2821.JPG
    DSCN2821.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN2777.JPG
    DSCN2777.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN2776.JPG
    DSCN2776.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 70

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
No, I just polished the raised areas The rest was just glass beaded
Interesting It does look a little like a hammered finish but somewhat "mottled " I also have another [owder coat that looks a bit like rough sandpaper it is called " Hot Rod Black " it is pretty cool, here is a picture of an early 320i air plenum and throttle body that I did Will have to look around to see if there is a "hammered "finish in powder coat I have a few called veins that look kinda cool but not in black I could try doing something in the silver vein and then coat it with a flat black next time that I am doing some PC'ing I will give it a try

Thanks, Rick
Thhe two on the right look similar to the steering columns. I'm gonna need something like that as mine are chewed up. Is the Silver a powder coat as well?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes it is Silver vein I get most of my powders from Prismatic Powders They should have a black "vein " style They have some pretty cool colors/textures

Thanks, Rick
Doesn't look like they have a Black in the vein style powders. They have one with some Silver in it.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check out their wrinkle section
Do you use their powders in a hobby setup? I have an Eastwoods PC gun and a Craigslist home oven and have had mixed results. Usually looks great, but a few items have had adhesion issues despite me being pretty sure I followed directions. Keeping my $45 oven at 400F seems to be problemtic when I check it with my heat gun and thermometer. I am on my 2nd CL oven. Maybe I need a new one. I have used powders sold by Eastwoods and Powder by the pound. I bead blast then acid etch parts before coating them.

stphers

Reaction score
I use an Eastwood dual voltage gun just recently, but have used their single voltage gun for a few years and because my shop space is limited, I use their oven as well Larger pieces, I have some infrared lights. Are you preheating the items before coating? I usually do at least 40-60 min at a preheat @ 450 F
This will off gas all the impurities out, bigger pieces longer Eastwood powders are pretty good

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you use their powders in a hobby setup? I have an Eastwoods PC gun and a Craigslist home oven and have had mixed results. Usually looks great, but a few items have had adhesion issues despite me being pretty sure I followed directions. Keeping my $45 oven at 400F seems to be problemtic when I check it with my heat gun and thermometer. I am on my 2nd CL oven. Maybe I need a new one. I have used powders sold by Eastwoods and Powder by the pound.
I understand the desire for originality, but I've been running a Pierburg pump for several years now without problem. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/adding-a-electric-fuel-pump-suggestions.42221/post-369474

If you can't find the original stuff, robust and cheap is not a bad alternative.
Thanks for those links Ohmess. I like the safety issues with the fuel shutoff, will give it all some study.

shanon

Reaction score
Per 1970, fuel pumps were located in the trunk. I have had my electric pumps (a Facet in the E9, a Carter in the E3) near the tanks at the suggestion of a racecar tech = less draw and more push from the tank. This set-up has been trouble free for a couple decades now.

HTH
-s

Attachments

• 1970 Alpina E9 feul pump pic.jpg
    1970 Alpina E9 feul pump pic.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 50
  • alpina fuel pump desc1.jpg
    alpina fuel pump desc1.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 50
  • alpina 2800cs 1970.jpeg
    alpina 2800cs 1970.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 54

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Per 1970, fuel pumps were located in the trunk. I have had my electric pumps (a Facet in the E9, a Carter in the E3) near the tanks at the suggestion of a racecar tech = less draw and more push from the tank. This set-up has been trouble free for a couple decades now.

HTH
-s
Interesting…looks like this very car!

IMG_1764.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ll guess it’s carbs as driving with KF with German TÜV approval is unlikely….