Alpina paint question

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
In my opinion, BMW Polaris Silver "looks" right, whether on Alpinas or 60s and 70s BMW wheels. Silver is one of the least durable pigments. Clear coats may help the paint last longer if your wheels are going on a car that actually gets driven.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Attachments

• alpina wheel.jpg
    alpina wheel.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 255

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
factory paint

I also just got my original alpina 14 in wheels off my csl back after being stripped for repaint and they have a slightly raised ridge just a couple of mm outside the center section where I think the paint matches up to...it's exactly like shown in the pics. This makes me think it was like this from the factory. Anyway...I'm painting mine as above.
Chuck

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought some NOS 16" alpina's about ten years ago and they had the black painted to about 2mm on the face of the rims.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just nitpicking, but judging from the photo, it seems like the black center was haphazardly centered and painted. Unless it is an optical illusion, this is a "'defect" that I would not accept from any new wheel, much less an esteemed manufacture such as Alpina.

The original Alpina wheel manufacture (Ronal) has never been or will be considered a "premium wheel manufacture" and I think their inferior paint finishes show. Many Alpina rims that I've seen that still have their original paint on them, have a flat and dull appearance to them. Most likely, clearcoating was not used during their painting process, hence the relatively quick deterioration of the paint.

Don't know whether this was an option, but Alpina should have selected OZ as their makers of their wheels, in place of Ronal. The paint quality on their rims is much superior than Ronal wheels. The finish on my OZ made 15" 20 spoke rims, which I bought new back in 1990 still appears factory new after a good washing.

JMHO, the "contained" black centers look much better than the "extended" black centers. Whether this is factory original or not, to me, it is irrelevant.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am pretty sure my wheels have the original finish on them and the black circle is very sloppily applied. I hope to improve the QC when I get them refinished. I am tempted by those 2002 ALpina rims as well. Wish there was more rubber available in 13"

duane_sword

Reaction score
A photo below of my Alpina's on my 3.0CS which has a bunch of original Alpina items inside and out (no not just the gearshift and wheels) that were on the Alpina B2 from Buchloe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335308065.538241.jpg

I have an article I wrote for the local BMW club if anyone is interested. "Coupe with Alpina intentions".

Alpina & other modifications:
* triple 40 DCOE carbs
* Alpina header, manifold, plenum airbox
* Alpina 75% LSD
* Alpina FB4 suspension chassis set
* Alpina B2 rated competition brake set